TL-300 Maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
This is a followup thread from my thread on all the back puff issues I have been having.
After burning the stove 24-7 since October and having major back-puffs out of this stove.

I was able to partially correct the issue.
I shut down the stove last Friday.
What I found out was the rear shoe brick's 9 little holes were completely plugged, there was also a crack in the shoe brick.
This was probably the main reason that caused the AB to fail giving me very poor burns.

I am going to have the stove people check out my stove in about 2 week where I will have them do a complete cleaning of the entire stove and the flue I will also have them replace any gasket that is not sealing as tight as it should be. I will also have them replace the shoe brick and examine the AB chamber to ensure that it is in good condition.

So if you start to experience back puffs and it is taking longer to get the stove up to temps and the AB keeps failing, it is time to shut her down and make sure the air holes are cleared of ash. Since the AB chamber sits at the back of the stove coals and ash like accumulating in the chamber.

Iv been vacuuming out those little babies once a month with my shop vac(cold stove of course)whenever i use the stove right from day 1.
They tend to get plugged as wood ash piles up against them.
Stove is clean, chimney is clean, sec air holes are open.

Good tip mish, funky design.

trump said:
Iv been vacuuming out those little babies once a month with my shop vac(cold stove of course)whenever i use the stove right from day 1.
They tend to get plugged as wood ash piles up against them.
Stove is clean, chimney is clean, sec air holes are open.

Actually from what I seen that chamber is like a wood magnet.
Doesn't matter where I put wood in the stove it seems to like to run for that chamber.
One of these days I wouldn't be too suprised if I open up the stove and a wood block flies from the wood bin 10 feet away and lands blocking the AB chamber. :roll:

Well figure when you close the bypass all the air going into the stove is forced down through the wood and into the AB chamber so its not surprising it will carry wood ashes. All the visible holes are in the hard brick so you cant hurt anything by vacuuming them periodically.

trump said:

x2

The trouble is, you have no way of knowing how much ash is back behind, in the AB, unless you take the stove apart or it starts performing poorly.

branchburner said:
The trouble is, you have no way of knowing how much ash is back behind, in the AB, unless you take the stove apart or it starts performing poorly.

This is why I will be having the stove guys come over in a couple of weeks and give it a proper cleaning.
I can vacuum the holes, but I know there is more ash back there. Also since the AB chamber is so fragile I wouldn't want to destroy it while trying to clean it.

branchburner said:
trump said:

x2

You can see all the way to the bottom of the stove in back and on the sides of the AB chamber if you take the flue pipe out and close the damper NOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.