1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

to bark or not to bark

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by bag of hammers, Mar 2, 2012.

1. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    I have seasoned maple in the pile anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 years sitting. On many (most) splits the bark just falls off in one big chunk as I'm grabbing it up for the inside fire. I used to throw them around for my retriever (it was one of his favorite games). Now I just toss them off to the side, like scrap, and throw them in the outside fire later on. Is this a waste of good heat? Should I be burning all this stuff in the inside stove? How is a pile of bark vs clean wood as far as creosote, etc. is concerned...?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Blue Vomit

Blue Vomit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    eastern PA
    I prefer my "nighttime splits" without bark. It lets me cram more wood in the stove for a longer burn. I have alot of chestnut oak with thick bark. If I dont need to pack the stove tight, I leave it on. Bark is btu's, just not as good as wood.

This, of course, is if it comes off easily. By no means do I put any real thought or effort into wether my splits have bark or not.
  3. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    If the bark is still on, and loose as yours is, I peel and toss.
    Bark to me, seems to leave more ash, and takes up space that wood could be replacing it with. Not really a big deal either way, but if its coming off, it is cleaned off and tossed here. Not to mention that is where most insects make a home, between the bark & the wood.
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yep, it does seem to leave more ash and not have as much BTU as the wood. If its loose, I toss it, but I am not going to put any blood, sweat or tears into removing it.
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

+2 Not to mention that loose bark likes to harbor unwanted wintering insects. I peel the loose bark off of everything that comes into the house, and you would not believe some of the critters that hide in that loose bark.....
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    If it is loose, we finish removing it and toss it aside. Like others have stated, you can burn it but you get a lot of ashes for the little heat you get. If you were tight on your wood supply, then burn it during the daytime hours and get what heat you can get or simply mix it in with the regular loads. I don't like messing with it and the bugs that come with it.
  7. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    If you have a vegetable garden, that bark makes great pathway mulch.
  8. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    I like to peel that bark off it comes off easily but do not put any extra effort into it. It seems like most of the maple I have around will do that especially if it has been in the stack for 2 years or more.
  9. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    If the bark is loose, take it off.
    Saves a big mess in the house along with the above reasons. :)
  10. bag of hammers

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Thanks everyone for the comments. Don't feel so bad about leaving the stuff outside now...
  11. seeyal8r

seeyal8r Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Central Oklahoma
    Bark = Kindling. If it falls off I throw it in a bucket and use it for kindling. works great for me, oak, elm, and black jack all have awesome bark for kindling.
  12. Freeheat

Freeheat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    +1 I use it to get things going works great for me. I don't worry about the ash I have to empty anyways.
  13. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    I use it for kindling and for a muddy walkway by my shed. It seems to make more ash than the rest of the wood.
  14. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    If it's loose, then off with it! I just spread it around my wood processing area to keep the mud and grasses down and to rid the area of ankle breakers.
  15. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    I keep oak bark for kindling - pretty dense stuff - the rest sees the fire pit. Cheers!
  16. Butcher

Butcher Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. central Ia.
    Everytime I bark the wife tries to kick me out the back door to do my business.
  17. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    You old dog, you. Try howling instead of barking at her.
  18. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    I save some for kindling, some for mulch, some for around the woodpiles. I spend hundreds on mulch every year so I might as well get some free stuff. I never work at taking it off, it just shows up.
  19. zeke

zeke New Member

Loc:
    north wi
    I like to shred sugar maple bark and smoke it in a small pipe, or roll a "fatty" in a Zig Zag. Goes great with a PBR and TV golf on a winter Sunday...
  20. Got Wood

Got Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    I read this forum daily and rarely do I see something new, especially in a thread regarding bark. I have to say this is a use of bark I would never have thought of.
  21. Butcher

Butcher Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. central Ia.
    The Indians here in the midwest used the inner bark of dogwoods to smoke in their pipes.
  22. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Never really been too concerned about maximizing the space in my firebox by removing the bark . . . but when the bark falls off naturally in the stack or in the woodshed I generally just toss the bark to the side to burn later in the fire pit or I toss it in front of the woodshed to keep down the grass and weeds.
  23. bag of hammers

Loc:
    Northern ON
    That one did make me smile. Also reminded me of this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6vyTM_qJAE
  24. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    If it is loose i peal it off.

Also bark makes a mess in the house so i try to take it off the wood if possible.
  25. jackatc1

jackatc1 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Port Crane ny
    Yellow birch bark, be it green seasond or wet, it's a great fire starter.