To blow, or not to blow?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathyp100

Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2007
Arvada, Colorado
Sorry for all the questions from this newbie, but we're about at the decision making point and want to make sure we look at all angles.

All of the dealers that we spoke with said that we probably would not want or need the optional fan on a gas stove in our 500 square foot family room. It seems like the fan would be a nice option, but on the other hand I know that we rarely used it with our wood stove because it made the room too hot.

For those of you with gas stoves, do you have blowers and if so do you use them often?

Once again, thanks for any and all comments!

Kathy in Colorado

I always used mine when I had a VC Stardance. I was wanting to move the heat a bit though. In your situation I would recommend not ordering it initially, and if you want it in the future order and install it then.

Kathy, what about the rest of the house? How is this room connected? Is it an open floor plan or is this room closed off by itself or on another floor? If it is on the same floor as other rooms, with an open floor plan, by all means get the fan. But if it's just for this room, then you can probably pass.

This room is in the basement, closed off from the rest of the house. However, there are two fans in the ceiling that direct air from the basement to the main floor as well as to an upstairs bedroom (these were installed by the previous owners of the house to help disperse the heat from the wood stove).

Kathy in Colorado

Your call then. The stove can be run without the blower, but when it's below zero, it might be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.