To insulate the liner or not and best performance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxburyeric

Hearth Supporter
Feb 6, 2008
Western Connecticut
Sorry to bring this one up again but I'm always thinking. I'm really wondering how much better the Jotul C550 insert would/could burn if I insulated the SS liner. I burned all last year (1st yr. burner - last yr.) I have an outside brick chimney 25 ft +/- tall with a block off plate at the bottom and top. Draw has always been good (starts easy and no smoke in the house). I will say that in January last year when it was really cold the stove really cranked the heat with great secondary burn). How do you know when you are loosing the heat up the chimney? I did burn about 6 cords last year for a 2,500 sq ft. house. I also know that my wood wasn't as seasoned as it should have been. So will insulating the liner give me longer burns? or will I use less wood? and am I loosing a lot of heat up the chimney? So many questions - but how does a new guy really know if the stove is performing at its best? Thanks for your help.

If you already have a lower block off plate, you are not going to loose that much heat through the actual chimney. Will the liner get hot... YES!! but insulation is not going to retain all of that heat. I would worry more about how much cresote you got after last season.. the insulation will more or less keep the liner hotter and help burn that cresote... so thats what i would check first.

Roxburyeric said:
Sorry to bring this one up again but I'm always thinking. I'm really wondering how much better the Jotul C550 insert would/could burn if I insulated the SS liner. I burned all last year (1st yr. burner - last yr.) I have an outside brick chimney 25 ft +/- tall with a block off plate at the bottom and top. Draw has always been good (starts easy and no smoke in the house). I will say that in January last year when it was really cold the stove really cranked the heat with great secondary burn). How do you know when you are loosing the heat up the chimney? I did burn about 6 cords last year for a 2,500 sq ft. house. I also know that my wood wasn't as seasoned as it should have been. So will insulating the liner give me longer burns? or will I use less wood? and am I loosing a lot of heat up the chimney? So many questions - but how does a new guy really know if the stove is performing at its best? Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the reply. I had the chimney swept about a month ago (not too bad) - which is a whole story on its own for a later post (A chimney Sweep getting a bad rap - boy that will be a story no one has heard before - yeah right).

Status
Not open for further replies.