To Locktite, or not to Locktite?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoRadical

Feb 4, 2012
Western Colorado
That is my question.

I bought a used 27-ton Craftsman log splitter, and it suddenly sprang a hydraulic leak from the control valve.

Thought it was an inner (spool) seal at first, but appears to be some micro crack in the housing. It actually leaks oil from the work port area, right at the threads. Since oil is supposed to pass through this fitting, it seems the leak is not a seal issue.

I'm planning on replacing the valve, and I'm wondering if I should use Locktite on the threads, or just leave them bare.

I've seen where using Teflon is a no-no, due to contamination.

So my main question is: What is the best thing to do here? Locktite, raw, or something else?

Some related questions:

I'm not sure what caused this leak. Loose fitting from original assembly? Missing Locktite? Over-tightened valve? Snow melt seeping into threads, then freezing? (It got caught overnight in unanticipated snowfall.) Something else?

Both ends of the valve (detent and handle) somehow rattled loose and began leaking, right before the fitting began leaking. That's what made me think the inner seals got messed up, from the spool getting out of line. Except it leaks from the threads at one of the work ports, not out the spool end(s).

But other than occurring in the same sitting, I can't figure out a connection that would make the threads leak.

My only guess is this:

When the spool got misaligned, the pressure relief outlet port misaligned as well. That prevented the pressurized oil from returning to holding tank through that relief valve at the end of the forward stroke.

So, pressure built up inside the valve/canister (load) side. Eventually (and yet very quickly), the weakest point failed. (Fortunately for me, it was a thread seal, and not some part that suddenly became flying shrapnel!)

Would a misalignment like this completely bypass the relief (safety) valve? (Yikes!)

Any thoughts on this misalignment theory? Any other guesses on what might have caused the leak? (Would like to avoid repeating problem, if possible.)

And any tips ahead of time on swapping out a control valve would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't done any work on hydraulics before, but I do have about average mechanical skills, basic tools, and a good understanding of systems.

Thanks in advance.

ColoRadical

The problem with Teflon is people are sloppy and don't know the proper way to use it. I was trained in A&P school how to use it and ever since then outside of my industry I have never seen it done right. So they say that just to keep misuse out of the equation.

I would use some type of thread sealant (Pipe dope).
Teflon tape is what we used for pressure oil fittings, just don't have any strings or pieces of it hanging off or over the end of the fitting & stretch it into the treads.
Also a good pipe dope for oil plumbing will work.
I think bare would leak or weep over time.

keep things clean
& hand tighten most of the way, it help prevent cross threading.

+1 on pipe dope for tapered pipe thread fittings that will not be disassembled regularly. Alchohol based is the best type for oil exposure. (Usually blue?)

Rectorseal not sure of spelling but good for gas,oil ect. Have used this for over 30 years for hydraulic and water plumbing is soft set as good as anything most plumbing stores have
this in stock.
Whitepine2

loctite makes a sealant just for hydraulic fittings,I have used it in cases like yours and it works.(Loctite thread sealant 569 high stength hydraulic)

Status
Not open for further replies.