To Mansfield or not to Mansfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PastorMatt

Dec 3, 2010
Northern IN
What a great website - thank you for providing such a collection of wisdom in one place for a new guy around wood stoves.

Here's my issue...
Last fall I picked up what I believed to be an older Mansfield from a guy who had no idea what it was. It turns out that it was a Hearthstone Harvest ('88-'92 cat model). I paid $125 for it and have spent another $125 in parts, gaskets, etc. The primary air intake and cat cover were both damaged and no longer available, so I am currently waiting to hear what the cost will be to remanufacture them locally. I've been told to expect another $250. So all up I will be right at $500 in with a working stove, looks good, no cracks and a good cat.

Or...
I can flick it off and pick up a 1996 Mansfield with a brand new baffle for $1000. It does have a hairline crack in one of the top stones (but not all of the way through) and two hairline cracks on the lower left side (again not all of the way through). The man described it as 85% like new, with no scratches on the stones or enamel.

Suggestions? My houses just shy of 2500 square feet and it will be centrally located on the main floor. I know that the Mansfield will produce twice the btus, but is it worth it? I told him I would call with an answer tomorrow since several others are looking at it as well.

I'd stay with the older stove with the known issues that you can put into better condition than the Mansfield for 1/2 the price.

I'm a cat lover, but I *think* I've read that their cat stoves were not Hearthstone's best effort. With 2500 sq ft, you could probably use the extra BTU's. However, I would compare stoves more by their firebox size than their peak output spec. A catalyst of a given size can handle only so much exhaust flow, so cats don't excel at the highest burn rates. Non-cats always have higher peak output specs than cats, but you will burn through more wood supporting that burn rate. . .there are only so many BTU's in a given load of wood. . .more output = faster burn, assuming the stoves' efficiencies are equal. Regarding the hairline cracks, it seems to be fairly common on the Hearthstones. Search the forum to verify, but I believe Hearthstone says it's not a problem as long as a stone isn't in danger of crumbling from multiple cracks. If that does happen, apparently it is a real PITA to change a stone, basically requiring a rebuild of the stove. Hopefully, some Hearthstone lovers can give you some more info soon. . .

So I decided to bite on the Mansfield and give it a try. For the price I shouldn't lose anything either way in resale so I figured I'd go with the bigger box up front to help push my heat to the far corners of the house.

That's what I would have done. I think you made a good decision. Best of luck with the new stove. Post some pictures if you can.

PastorMatt said:
So I decided to bite on the Mansfield and give it a try. For the price I shouldn't lose anything either way in resale so I figured I'd go with the bigger box up front to help push my heat to the far corners of the house.

I think you will be happy with your choice. But then again I am biased...... since I am a proud Manny owner.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.