1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

To Split or Not to Split

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Chris D 101, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris D 101

Chris D 101 New Member

Loc:
    North Jersey
    Hey guys quick question..

Is it me or do 6 to 8 inch rounds last longer and burn better unsplit?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. dj2cohen

dj2cohen New Member

Loc:
    Southeast West Virginia
    For me, they do provide a longer burn time. BUT, for me, when split, they will stack a lot easier, get more wood intot he same stacking volume, the stack is more stable, and they will definatley season better/faster.

Just my opinion,

DJC
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    ^ditto

I split everything that can be split.
  4. xjnuttier

xjnuttier New Member

Loc:
    SE PA
    I have to agree to split, got a smaller stove, so that works beter, but I seem to get a much better burn when they have less of the rounded edge... i split it all as well... works best for my stove..
  5. caber

caber New Member

Loc:
    Western Maryland
    I'd split the 8's and 2/3s of the 6's. Leave some of the 6's whole for long burns.
  6. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    It likely depends on wood species but I find that intact bark impedes the burn somewhat. I don't like wood rolling in my stove either and really hate when round wood decides to roll when on the pile.

I like to have a really big 1/4 split for overnight burns. It puts two flats tight to the firebrick (I rake the coals forward) so that it tends to burn only from the top down, not all sides at once.
  7. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    I split nothing under six inches, but I have a top load stove. Why split it if it will burn fine as is?
  8. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    It would depend for me...do you have a good stock of large chunks for good overnight burns? If so split the rounds. If you need some good massive chunks, leave them be for now. You can always split later, but you can't tie a bundle of matchsticks together and get a nice log for overnight.
  9. bsruther

bsruther Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky
    They last longer, but I wouldn't say they burn better. I've found that they don't do well if you want to make a really hot fire. A log with squared off edges catches fire better than one that is smooth all the way around.
  10. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I feal like I conquered the wood by splitting it. I get to see what if anything is inside and I get more needed small sizes that light easier.
  11. lexybird

lexybird Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwestern PA.
    split wood is going to dry faster/better ,dryer wood burns better ,make healthy size big splits if your worried about it
  12. TKeller

TKeller New Member

Loc:
    western ky. (owensboro)
    I agree with everyone that says it is better to split all your wood for all the reasons given. Split wood dries better, burns better, stacks in the stove better, ignites better etc. etc. etc. Having said all that I split everything with a maul. Good luck and go to work. Tony
  13. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I betcha would like taking a few whacks at a pinata then too -- kind of the same effect. :) ;)
  14. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Ja, but I won't eat what I find inside the wood. Just like evicting the buggers.
  15. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I am working on splitting wood for the 2010/2011 winter now, so I can leave some of it larger and still have it dry. The 2011/2012 stuff that I'll get in the spring (scrounging ice storm damage trees) will have a lot more left big.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.