To you pro cross-stackers...how do you do it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that you just need to spend a little time and think about which pieces will 1) lie flat, and 2) are similar enough in size that they make a relatively flat foundation for the next course. I does help to split a lot of rectangular blocks, if you have large enough rounds - they crib very well. I had just posted this photo a few days ago, but here is my technique. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_3268_copy.jpg
    IMG_3268_copy.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 190
I stack two together on ground with a slight lean - I don't have any level ground on my property. Set the stacks to lean against each other. Any pieces with knots or uneven ends arrange the way you want the stack to lean. As others have mentioned use shorties or chunks to add stability anywhere it's wobbly. I haven't had to restack anything in several years now and the piles are so stable that my kids climb on them. Also stop stacking at about 5 feet - 6 maybe. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.