Today’s scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
Found this on my way home from getting some cherry and maple today. Guy said it’s Dogwood. Heavy as crap and cool yellow color to it.

Attachments

• 647BEE96-4730-4AB5-A5A2-21ACAE154FA5.jpeg
    647BEE96-4730-4AB5-A5A2-21ACAE154FA5.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: MissMac
Split easy by hand. very dense wood. Prob the heaviest I’ve dealt with. Anyone know the seasoning time?

If it is dogwood, I got some in the early Fall of 2018 and burned it in late Fall of 2019 without issue.

The rounds look super big for dogwood.

The rounds look super big for dogwood.
There were four trees, all good sized. I got the straightest pieces since I split by hand. These are some of the bigger pieces. Lots of smaller stuff I didn’t mess with. These are probably the lower rounds

I have lots and lots of dogwood. Biggest I have ever seen, is half that size.
I have messed with a little dogwood in making tool handles for cant hooks, and slicks. Dogwood is an extremely heavy dense wood and I am sure it would make great firewood.
Because of the grain of dogwood I believe it would be very hard to split.

+1 pear.
Pretty sure it's callery pear (Pyrus calleryana). In the Rose family (along with cherry and apple). Lots of cultivated varieties of callery pear with 'Bradford' being most well known (infamous). Very common, over used ornamental landscape tree (often its better use is as firewood).
Orange wood on fresh cut wood is characteristic, along with regular, scaly bark.
Burns OK and seasons fairly quick (1+ seasons ?), but wouldn't go too far out of my way for it. Good find for local scrounge.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
+1 pear.
Pretty sure it's callery pear (Pyrus calleryana). In the Rose family (along with cherry and apple). Lots of cultivated varieties of callery pear with 'Bradford' being most well known (infamous). Very common, over used ornamental landscape tree (often its better use is as firewood).
Orange wood on fresh cut wood is characteristic, along with regular, scaly bark.
Burns OK and seasons fairly quick (1+ seasons ?), but wouldn't go too far out of my way for it. Good find for local scrounge.
Exactly my thoughts!

Interesting. Looks as though pear is good firewood as well. So still a win!
It will dry and burn.! I found when splitting by hand it would sometimes comes off in chunks.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Interesting. Looks as though pear is good firewood as well. So still a win!
For sure! I like it, burns nice and throws decent heat, get lots of it after the storms come through as they crack easily. Used to be a lot of them in a local cemetery and when they would crack I would clean them up, they yanked them all out a few years ago but I would take what I could, a LOT of the tree is branches when they are small but it looks like you have some good sized pieces there!

Reactions: baseroom