Today's dumb move. Watch what you burn...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
Years ago we bought some junky little decorative wooden box and used it to keep odds and ends inside. Today I decided to dispose of it and of course saw it as just a wooden box that would easily fit in the woodstove. So I did. After 5 minutes I had a raging blaze that was drawing waaay too much air. I shut the air all the way down but it still pulled in air and kept going. The reburn tubes were like a dozen blow torches. My stovepipe started turning red just as I held a wet towel up to reduce the air that still flows in when my air lever is closed. But the wet twel eventually did the trick....that or the box burned past the peak output.

The stove itself never got past my normal temps but it was the first time I've seen cherry stovepipe! Scary. I think the box had wax or oils rubbed in it, and that should have never gone in the stove. Note to self - don't do that again.

44287.jpg

Did you look inside first to see if it was full of money? My wife says that I burn money every time I touch it. Maybe it was full of medicinal weed?:oops:

Reactions: Nelson
Must have been scary seeing that cherry red pipe, to make you feel better, two weeks ago I cleaned out the old stove, not thinking I dumped the ashes in the woods (thought they weren't that hot) low and behold I lit the woods on fire, I caught it in time but if it was 5min later it would have been fire truck time..lol and to think I'm a member of the FD, I should know better.

Reactions: 7acres
So only burn antique boxes a piece at a time.

Never had that problem with the wooden skewers that come with the beef teriyaki from the Chinese restaurant. .....

I would easily guess that box was finished with lacquer or something similar (shellac, poly, etc) and not really surprised it went up the way you say. Finished wood is some nasty stuff if it is not serving as furniture.

Status
Not open for further replies.