Todays Milling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We went back in to mill up the other eight foot piece of hemlock, per a members advice I've been running some Wesson Canola Oil in the Stihl and aux. oiler, seems everything went well. I also bought the no spill gasoline can, can't believe I waited this long, it works great.

We pulled out of the woods early because of a storm moving in but we diid get five boards just over eight feet long x 1.25 inches thick, attached are some pictures.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3655.jpg
    100_3655.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 490
  • 100_3656.jpg
    100_3656.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 495
  • 100_3657.jpg
    100_3657.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 494
  • 100_3658.jpg
    100_3658.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 518
  • 100_3659.jpg
    100_3659.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 487
  • 100_3660.jpg
    100_3660.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 487
  • 100_3661.jpg
    100_3661.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 484
  • 100_3663.jpg
    100_3663.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 520
Looks like a lumbar yard! Awesome........

Nice Work, that's really neat to see all those boards stacked up there from your own property. I'll bet it's satisfying for sure.

loon said:
looks great zap ;-) we are supposed to be getting that storm also??

loon

Loon, the worst went west of us but we are getting some needed rain.

zap

smokinjay said:

Smokin the wife is a huge help and has the aux. oiler and wedges down pat. Did you get a design for you Chicken Coop yet? Smokin what type of oil are you running in the 880 when milling?

zap

Looks awesome zap. Makes me want to start milling.

ecocavalier02 said:
Looks awesome zap. Makes me want to start milling.

Eco it's a slow process but you get to buy all new stuff, :coolsmile: how is the little guy doing?

zap

He is doing great. Getting big so fast.

ecocavalier02 said:
He is doing great. Getting big so fast.

Good to hear, he'll be stacking or helping with the wood real soon.

zap

Went to a shop where the guy mills big slabs and then builds tables, beds, benches out of them this weekend with the inlaws.

After seeing the price tags, I want to get into milling too!

Seriously though he has some AWESOME pieces, just would need a second mortage to own any of them!

Remmy122 said:
Went to a shop where the guy mills big slabs and then builds tables, beds, benches out of them this weekend with the inlaws.

After seeing the price tags, I want to get into milling too!

Seriously though he has some AWESOME pieces, just would need a second mortage to own any of them!

Remmy122, what were the items made of oak?

zap

Looks familiar, I just milled a bunch of hemlock myself. I can almost smell it through the internet... :)

Is there anything supporting the stickers between the 4x4's?

zapny said:
I also bought the no spill gasoline can, can't believe I waited this long, it works great.

Zap, you have to be the ONLY, and I mean only, person to compliment the new EPA/CARB gas cans. I have the same can you do and it's the only design that doesn't infuriate me every time I refill. I know people that are patching (omg...) their old cans to avoid buying a new CARB approved can.

MasterMech said:
Zap, you have to be the ONLY, and I mean only, person to compliment the new EPA/CARB gas cans. I have the same can you do and it's the only design that doesn't infuriate me every time I refill. I know people that are patching (omg...) their old cans to avoid buying a new CARB approved can.

Heard that. I went out and bought enough funnels that I always the right one around when I take the top off the gas can to fill something. I have probably put a half dozen of those stupid springs in the tanks of various pieces of equipment.

DiscoInferno said:
Looks familiar, I just milled a bunch of hemlock myself. I can almost smell it through the internet... :)

Is there anything supporting the stickers between the 4x4's?

Just the 4 x 4's in the picture, I'm guessing that I should have a few more. The stickered wood will be moved to a better area so if I need more let me know.

zap

Good job Zap

That hemlock has a nice grain to it! I am using the same can and I like it too. Just remember to burp the can when its hot out, there's no vent so if it sits out in the sun the pressure builds up and it will really blow the gas out! I used some peanut oil last year and it worked fine but it gelled up and turned solid when it got below 40 deg f.

I got to play with my mill last week. The new 10 deg hook blades are great and a lot better than the 4 deg hook ones. Cut some 16' 5x5 spruce beams for the deck on the cabin. I also sawed up some red maple logs I saved from the firewood pile. I really should have sealed the ends as there are 6" cracks up the ends.

Billy

MasterMech said:
zapny said:
I also bought the no spill gasoline can, can't believe I waited this long, it works great.

MasterMech, I had bought a different one and hated it so much it never saw gas then about a week ago I lost the small cap on the old one when we were milling. So on Aug. 6th I went looking and found this type, so I said why not try it. The wife wants one for the regular gas so I'll stop this week to pick another one up.

Zap

Cowboy Billy said:
Good job Zap

That hemlock has a nice grain to it! I am using the same can and I like it too. Just remember to burp the can when its hot out, there's no vent so if it sits out in the sun the pressure builds up and it will really blow the gas out! I used some peanut oil last year and it worked fine but it gelled up and turned solid when it got below 40 deg f.

I got to play with my mill last week. The new 10 deg hook blades are great and a lot better than the 4 deg hook ones. Cut some 16' 5x5 spruce beams for the deck on the cabin. I also sawed up some red maple logs I saved from the firewood pile. I really should have sealed the ends as there are 6" cracks up the ends.

Billy

Billy, I would have never guessed that Hemlock had such a nice grain, once the wife caught a glimse of it I heard the words coffee table come out.

Are you milling with the mizer?

zap

Sure am Zap. I don't have a CSM and nothing large enough on the property to justify one.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Sure am Zap. I don't have a CSM and nothing large enough on the property to justify one.

Billy

If we had a tractor so we could move some of these trees then the mill would have been something from Hudson, but things are getting easier with the help from the board members and other sites.

This week we are going back in and maybe come up with a spot that we both like for a small cabin, any good sites that have plans online.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Smokin the wife is a huge help and has the aux. oiler and wedges down pat. Did you get a design for you Chicken Coop yet? Smokin what type of oil are you running in the 880 when milling?

zap

I run the cheapest veggie oil I can find....Even in hardwoods 36 inchs wide there is still no issues...I run it in the 880 and aux-oiler! You darn sure need a couple extra hands.

Man thats makes me want to get started saw some myself. I think I am going to cut up enough 2 by stuff to build me a woodshed this fall.

jackofalltrades said:
Man thats makes me want to get started saw some myself. I think I am going to cut up enough 2 by stuff to build me a woodshed this fall.

Get milling and get the pictures up, it's hard work but well worth the time & money for us. It's nice when it comes from your own property.

zap

zapny said:
Cowboy Billy said:

Billy

If we had a tractor so we could move some of these trees then the mill would have been something from Hudson, but things are getting easier with the help from the board members and other sites.

This week we are going back in and maybe come up with a spot that we both like for a small cabin, any good sites that have plans online.

zap

Zap look into a log arch for getting your logs out. Even with the loader I need a log wagon to get most of them out. I have carried some logs out chained to the bucket but you are constantly zig zaging trying to work them around trees on the sides of the trail.

I'll have to get a picture of my cousin's 10x12. He had a bunch of small logs from thinning pines our grandpa's planted had them cut on two sides so they were all 6" thick and built a log cabin out of it.

This is one I like and my brother bought the plans to for $16 and he is going to build on the farm http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/2009/01/25/cabin-modeled-after-fire-tower/

Here is a form for small houses/cabins that is good http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=16d967f893ce3fc2c43ec52e7c2254fe&board=6.0

You can also goggle small cabin designs.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.