Today's Project and a chimney cap question "the update"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

They Call Me Pete

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2007
CT
Well after having issues with down draft I got out the ladder and went up to see what was going on. Well I found my cap to be almost plugged with cretsole. Well that explains it. So I took it off to clean and was reminded that block off plate was 6.5 inches for a 6 inch pipe. I had forgotten that my useless stove shop (that will sell a stove but doesn't want to know your name if you have a problem)gave me the wrong size. So off to the local stove shop and got me the correct one and sealed it with high tempt. sealer. Ahhhhh much better
w0t9g9.jpg

I put my cap back on and noticed that pipe/block off plate sticks pretty high up into cap. I'm wondering if this could be part of my problem with build up I get on the cap ? I'm thinking of switching to a cap that fits on to the end of the 6" pipe and secure it with some sheet metal screws. Whatta ya think ??
120jedg.jpg

They Call Me Pete said:
Well after having issues with down draft I got out the ladder and went up to see what was going on. Well I found my cap to be almost plugged with cretsole. Well that explains it. So I took it off to clean and was reminded that block off plate was 6.5 inches for a 6 inch pipe. I had forgotten that my useless stove shop (that will sell a stove but doesn't want to know your name if you have a problem)gave me the wrong size. So off to the local stove shop and got me the correct one and sealed it with high tempt. sealer. Ahhhhh much better
w0t9g9.gif

I put my cap back on and noticed that pipe/block off plate sticks pretty high up into cap. I'm wondering if this could be part of my problem with build up I get on the cap ? I'm thinking of switching to a cap that fits on to the end of the 6" pipe and secure it with some sheet metal screws. Whatta ya think ??
120jedg.jpg

That's funny I have almost the exact same cap as yours and mine is secured to a square chimney liner tile.. On mine it sits on TOP of the liner and the screen is fully exposed..

Hope this helps..

Ray

My pipe stick into the cap from where the bead is on your pipe (1"-1.5")

Maybe I'll just take my angle grinder and cut it down lower. Then I'd have to use the sheet metal screws because new top plate has a band built into it that tightens around the pipe. The other thing that just dawned on me is I could have flipped the top plate upside down. The liner doesn't stick up to far so that may be the ticket. Hmmm maybe tomorrows project

I have the same situation. The new 6 inch liner comes out above the clay tile about six inches. It has the top plate with the band. We decided to use the original chimney cap that tightens to the clay liner and holds down the top plate in case it would become unsealed because of high winds etc. The downside is the top of the liner is only 2 inches from the top of the chimney cap. It seems like the smoke coming out has greater tendency to come down to the ground. Need to order a taller stainless steel chimney cap but they all seem to have only a 8 inch mess. The webmaster's chimney caps that he has advertised seem to address this issue. But I don't know if I like that design. I just want the typical screen chimney cap but somewhat taller than what is sold typically. I think this is what the original poster of this thread would like to have. Anyone seen these for sale. Tony

Well I went up and cut about 2 inches lower and seem to have cured the problem of cretsole build up. I have been burning for two days and cap looks just like it does in the picture. Nice and clean, I think it might have been a combination of pipe to high and my neighbor had some wood I think was to green. Last year I would get some build-up but a hot fire would clean it off but this seems to have cured it for sure.

Tony, I would go cut some off. My top plate has the band also and I cut it off just above it. I was also prepared to cut it below the band and use sheet metal screws to secure pipe to top plate. That's how my old one was.

Status
Not open for further replies.