Todays trip/ Cherry,Sugar Maple and Ironwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Some pictures of todays trip back in the woods, 100_2210 & 2212 are a sugar maple which I can winch down,100_2214 is a small ironwood, 100_2222 is the rhino coming back down from finding some sugar maple,100_2223 & 2224 is another cherry.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2210.jpg
    100_2210.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 384
  • 100_2211.jpg
    100_2211.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 377
  • 100_2214.jpg
    100_2214.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 379
  • 100_2222-1.jpg
    100_2222-1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 368
  • 100_2223.jpg
    100_2223.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 374
  • 100_2224.jpg
    100_2224.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 370
  • 100_2209.jpg
    100_2209.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 371
Looks like you have a lot of easy pickings there Zap! I found a bunch of trees that I'm hoping to take down, but the snow this weekend ended my hopes of cutting until spring!

ikessky said:
Looks like you have a lot of easy pickings there Zap! I found a bunch of trees that I'm hoping to take down, but the snow this weekend ended my hopes of cutting until spring!

I thought that would happen up here also but we received all rain, lost a good foot of snow. Looks like 2-6 inches today, but if needed I'll put the chains on the rhino and grab a few trees this weekend.

zap

I have next year's supply split and stacked already, so it's not like I need to cut more. I have some white ash that I dropped in the fall that is laying in the woods bucked up that I might need next year. Since it's white ash and was bucked in the fall, I'm not going to worry too much about it though. I'll get it split up in the spring when the ground is still freezing at night and the morning.

Keep up the good work Zap!!!

Ya gotta love being able to take down and dead trees. On the second family farm the family has been cutting out of for at least 80 years and haven't had to cut up a good tree and its only about 15 acres. There's a big difference between taking and care taking. And you sure are taking care of you woods.

Billy

ikessky said:
I have next year's supply split and stacked already, so it's not like I need to cut more. I have some white ash that I dropped in the fall that is laying in the woods bucked up that I might need next year. Since it's white ash and was bucked in the fall, I'm not going to worry too much about it though. I'll get it split up in the spring when the ground is still freezing at night and the morning.

We are four years ahead in the wood supply but would like to add on during the winter so next summer we'll be boating more.

zap

Nice pics Zap - it really makes me want to get back in the woods, but I better get the stuff I already have processed first.

zapny said:
We are four years ahead in the wood supply but would like to add on during the winter so next summer we'll be boating more.

zap

And I like the way you think.

Jags said:
Nice pics Zap - it really makes me want to get back in the woods, but I better get the stuff I already have processed first.

zapny said:

zap

And I like the way you think.

Jags, I have to make up for the walleyes I ignored this past summer.

zap

Cowboy Billy said:
Keep up the good work Zap!!!

Ya gotta love being able to take down and dead trees. On the second family farm the family has been cutting out of for at least 80 years and haven't had to cut up a good tree and its only about 15 acres. There's a big difference between taking and care taking. And you sure are taking care of you woods.

Billy

It makes it easier grabbing the blow down, we do have some nice dead standing I wanted to get at. I can think off 8-10 Cherry Trees that are down or broken off that need chainsaw maintenance done to them. :coolgrin:

Billy this care taking can be a full time job.

zap

All the blowdown in our woods is mainly stuff I would pass on like butternut and pine. Then again, I should start making a couple of runs for campfire wood. We've been talking about putting a firepit in the back yard and I really don't want to burn any of the good heating wood.

ikessky said:
All the blowdown in our woods is mainly stuff I would pass on like butternut and pine. Then again, I should start making a couple of runs for campfire wood. We've been talking about putting a firepit in the back yard and I really don't want to burn any of the good heating wood.

ikessky, we have plenty of white pine down that I never touch do you think campers at the state park would buy it if I bucked it up and split it.

zap

zapny said:
ikessky, we have plenty of white pine down that I never touch do you think campers at the state park would buy it if I bucked it up and split it.

zap

I don't want to speak for ikessky - but heck yeah. When it comes to fire pit wood, I will take pine over the hard stuff any day. The whole idea is to poke at, stir, feed and watch the purty flames. What wood can do that better than pine. Just one dudes opinion.

Jags said:
zapny said:

zap

I don't want to speak for ikessky - but heck yeah. When it comes to fire pit wood, I will take pine over the hard stuff any day. The whole idea is to poke at, stir, feed and watch the purty flames. What wood can do that better than pine. Just one dudes opinion.

I'll start one of these weekends cutting pine then try selling some from a roadside stand in the summer, we would also like to sell some wild leeks.(loaded with them)

zap

Jags said:
zapny said:

zap

+1

ikessky said:
Jags said:
zapny said:

zap

+1

OK - I guess I spoke for ikessky. :)

I don't mind you speaking for me in this case Jags. Even though you are from Illinois! ;-P

Jags said:
The whole idea is to poke at, stir, feed and watch the purty flames. What wood can do that better than pine. Just one dudes opinion.

You can have my vote on that too.

I have a fire pit, and was wondering how to fire it without burning my good wood.

Yet another brilliant idea from this forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.