Today's Wood/Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Great day to be in the woods, this is some Cherry I split.

Zap

Nice work zapny.

We have quite a bit of cherry in our wood piles. Good wood to burn.

Great score ZAP, I was out bucking some redoak.....real nice day, did'nt break a sweat.

WoodButcher

I loves me some Cherry. Not the hottest burning or the longest lasting, but it's still one of my favorite woods to burn. The aroma it gives off is also very nice.

I had a good size cherry taken down last year and the big chunks that wouldn't split on my small 5 ton electric splitter had to split by hand with a maul and wedges. Cherry is a b#@$h to split. I look at the pics with your splitter and drool, real nice, but I'm not that type of burner yet to need that type of equipment. Nice pile that should be ready for you for next year, right?

Brian

smokingolf said:
I had a good size cherry taken down last year and the big chunks that wouldn't split on my small 5 ton electric splitter had to split by hand with a maul and wedges. Cherry is a b#@$h to split. I look at the pics with your splitter and drool, real nice, but I'm not that type of burner yet to need that type of equipment. Nice pile that should be ready for you for next year, right?

Brian

Yes the Cherry is for next heating season, will start to bring it out of the woods Saturday and start stacking. The Splitter is a American CLS 24 ton.

Zap

Nice pile to have for next season. I also cut some wood on my own land but instead of bringing out the splitter I cut the rounds and dump them at the splitter that's sitting next to where I will stack.
How does / what seems to be the advantage of bringing the splitter out to the woods instead ? Just trying to see if I should consider that for my situation.

Tony H said:
Nice pile to have for next season. I also cut some wood on my own land but instead of bringing out the splitter I cut the rounds and dump them at the splitter that's sitting next to where I will stack.
How does / what seems to be the advantage of bringing the splitter out to the woods instead ? Just trying to see if I should consider that for my situation.

Last year I cut trees that had been down and waited to split in the spring, my rule of thumb is cut,split and get it out this year.

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.