Todays Work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Dropped a total of four cherry trees today, this is the area we plan on building our cabin. Things went real well until the last tree, I had the wife take a picture while I was felling it..........right in to another tree but two cuts later the cherry came down.

Looks like we will get 140 rounds out of these trees to split, attached are some pictures.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4173.jpg
    100_4173.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 597
  • 100_4174.jpg
    100_4174.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 604
  • 100_4177.jpg
    100_4177.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 596
  • 100_4179.jpg
    100_4179.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 603
  • 100_4180.jpg
    100_4180.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 587
  • 100_4181.jpg
    100_4181.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 584
  • 100_4182.jpg
    100_4182.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 593
Nice work! Snowing like crazy here...I didn't get to stack everything that I split last weekend. WEEETTT ground after this one. Trees are down everywhere.

That ones flaky as all get out lol

Stay safe FireAnt, we are lucking out again with this storm staying south of us. I think that on one of the weather sites they had one million plus without power. It sure has been a crazy year for some people on the east coast with the weather.

zap

Buddy just called. He had a big Maple split in half down his driveway into the road. I know what I am doing tomorrow...

FireAnt said:
Buddy just called. He had a big Maple split in half down his driveway into the road. I know what I am doing tomorrow...

Good deal FireAnt, make sure the area is safe.

zap

Nice job, I have some more cherry to get cut up too. Burned it exclusively one winter a couple years back.

Nice cabin location :)
Looking good.
Careful around those ones that hang up.
Good job.

Nicely done Zap.

Chargerman, we usually heat with cherry during the day then when it gets colder we switch to sugar maple or beech. Nice truck.

Bogydave, it will be real peaceful back on this site by the brook, almost fell a sleep taking a break drinking some coffee.

Sav, not sure when we will be done with it but it might mean another trip for the Sav's. This finally gives me some new trails in that area, I just need to cleanup some dead branches plus do some stump removal, then I can get to the property line.

zap

Zap, we will never visit again....unless your wife makes some more of that cake.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, we will never visit again....unless your wife makes some more of that cake.

Done deal, but Gamma said you have to stop by her freakin PAD first, she'll cook you a freakin cake, just don't ask whats in it! :sick:

zap

Hey Zap, care if everyone posts their "todays" work pics in this thread? Jus an idea so it's all in one spot......

zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Done deal, but Gamma said you have to stop by her freakin PAD first, she'll cook you a freakin cake, just don't ask whats in it! :sick:

zap

Well come to think of it, I never asked Mrs. Zap what was in the cake either.

CodyWayne718 said:
Hey Zap, care if everyone posts their "todays" work pics in this thread? Jus an idea so it's all in one spot......

Thats fine with me.

zap

CodyWayne718 said:

i like 'today' threads :lol: here we were a bunch of todays ago :cheese:

DSC09813-3-1.jpg

Great looking spot for your cabin Zap ;-) and some nice looking wood for sure...

loon

Loon, looks like a nice area to work, what type of wood is that?

zap

Doing some of the final cleanup yesterday guessing close to 95% done with what I found so far since April- 74 degrees & sunshine,nothing more than a trickle of rain since mid September. 45 & slowly dropping right now with strong gusts & cold rain coming down,may see some flurries later today.Forecast calls for 1.25 to 1.5 inches of rain by tommorow morning,its very welcome here.

Much smaller than what I'd been cutting the past several weeks - only 4" to 8",but these Red & White Oak dead rounds are bone-dry,with deep cracks & as hard as any Locust or Hickory I've cut in months.Will save them for the coldest January & February evenings.

Attachments

• 1st load of 2 today 110111.jpg
    1st load of 2 today 110111.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 1st load pic 2.jpg
    1st load pic 2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 169
Looks like some nice rounds for your colder months, I bet those will split nice. Another nice weekend forecast for here, like my wife said cut more wood,eat then burn.

zap

Zap,

are you going to build your cabin from scratch? or a manufactured kit? Either way, we love pic's.

I dream of being able to build a small cabin on a lake lot someday when I retire. I want to build it all from scratch.

Won't have to be too big, just a weekend place.

Good luck with yours.

basswidow said:
Zap,

are you going to build your cabin from scratch? or a manufactured kit? Either way, we love pic's.

I dream of being able to build a small cabin on a lake lot someday when I retire. I want to build it all from scratch.

Won't have to be too big, just a weekend place.

Good luck with yours.

From scratch, we purchased some plans online, I'll put a link up in the DIY Forum under the Topic Cabin Build.

zap

Looks like your stocked up real good, time for a break, for Emma. :coolsmile:

zap

Finally got some splittin done

Attachments

• 2011-11-05_18-13-20_62-1.jpg
    2011-11-05_18-13-20_62-1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 2011-11-05_18-13-00_472-1.jpg
    2011-11-05_18-13-00_472-1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 113
Status