Tonga Volcanic Eruption

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I just read that they measured (air pressure) the shockwave in North Western Europe. Both sides (the one traveling Eastward and the one traveling Westward). That's more than 10,000 miles away...

Reactions: EbS-P
I just read that they measured (air pressure) the shockwave in North Western Europe. Both sides (the one traveling Eastward and the one traveling Westward). That's more than 10,000 miles away...
The instrumentation on the Cascade volcanoes illustrates this. Red is the first pressure wave and the gold area is the second wave that wrapped around the planet.

pressure.jpg

The potential for this volcano is really large. Hope it settles down, but history shows it may have more in store.

Interesting; higher resolution data than I saw. I saw the classic pressure wave: up and down.
Is the envelope in your data the (unresolved) ringing down, and the data I found just the first cycle of that?

Screenshot_20220116-225315.png

Probably. The info is from the Pacific NW earthquake network.

I wonder what effects this will have on weather systems.

Reactions: SpaceBus
It really depends on how high the ash cloud goes into the atmosphere and how long it spits out. It could to a slight reduction in global temps like occurred after Pinatubo https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/1510/global-effects-of-mount-pinatubo#:~:text=Pinatubo injected about 15 million,primarily of sulfuric acid droplets.&text=In the case of Mount,period of almost two years.
A bit of cooling wouldn't be the worst thing, but I know there's tons of carbon and other bad stuff coming out of that volcano.

A bit of cooling wouldn't be the worst thing, but I know there's tons of carbon and other bad stuff coming out of that volcano.

That'd be short time; decade max. As such it won't help with the climate. And if it is spewing green house gases, the long term will be worse anyway.

But this is nature itself. If we get our selves under control, it'll be fine. Nature has done this for ages without long term consequences.

One of the many geoengineering solutions to Global Warming is the to crank a bunch of Sulfur Dioxide into the upper atmosphere.

One of the many geoengineering solutions to Global Warming is the to crank a bunch of Sulfur Dioxide into the upper atmosphere.

Good for acid rain down the line, I think...

exactly

That'd be short time; decade max. As such it won't help with the climate. And if it is spewing green house gases, the long term will be worse anyway.

But this is nature itself. If we get our selves under control, it'll be fine. Nature has done this for ages without long term consequences.
That's exactly what I was getting at, this isn't helping the situation we have created. I do agree that this would be statistically insignificant without all the pollution humans have created.

Reactions: stoveliker