Too close to the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
I have a bit of a warning after a near miss tonight.

My mother who is 82 and always cold was sitting on the hearth this evening. The Osburn was cranking away and keeping the house nice ad toasty. My mother's back was about 1.5 feet from the front of the stove and suddenly I see what I thought was steam coming from her back. I asked her to move away 3 times each more emphatically, and got up to look at her back and her pale blue wool sweater was charred and black. I quickly unzipped it and removed it from her. (yes she was wearing another layer underneath which is why she didn't feel the intense heat)

Lucky tonight!! it was only a burned sweater.

Please folks, be careful with a hot stove. You don't have to touch it to get burned.

From NFPA
dogs, children, wives, mothers and grandmothers shall be no less than 36" from the front of a solid fuel burning device

Good thing you were there, may need to have a hockey crease around the stove ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.