Too hot to do much else so...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
The temperature is not yet so high out there but it is really uncomfortable once you start moving around. I hate this weather!

But, I had to do something outdoors so I made some kindling. These 2 pictures represent about 1/3 of what I did so far. Yes, I plan on making some more. The first picture also shows in the background what is left of 7 cords of wood. We fixed up another neighbor for firewood for the coming winter. He had a big grin on his face and said his blood pressure dropped a lot when I offered him the wood. Now he wants to help me with some things so I'll have an extra hand when it is needed.

Kindling-1.gif

This second picture turned out a bit blurry but I included it anyway. Observant folks, like Jake for instance, will notice that the splitter is set up properly; in the vertical mode.

Kindling-2.gif

Nice Pic's..I dont think it cooled off any last night.

You may want to oil or fix that pin so you can get it back to horizontal for proper operation...

No! Horizontal is for moving the splitter. Vertical is for splitting.

Backwoods Savage said:

+1

Backwoods Savage said:
Not to be contrary,.........ok well I guess this is, but what about ALL those splitters that don't have the vertical feature?
The past 3 years or so, I split vertical, but it got hard on the knees, so I've gone horizontal of late. I'm debating the merits of both.

Not to be contrary,.........ok well I guess this is, but what about ALL those splitters that don't have the vertical feature?
The past 3 years or so, I split vertical, but it got hard on the knees, so I've gone horizontal of late. I'm debating the merits of both.

What I've found to work best for me is a horizontal attached to the 3 point hitch on my tractor. Drop the hitch, roll the round on, raise the hitch, split. I love it!

ETA: The splitter has a 'wing' on each side to catch the splits, so no need to drop the hitch again to reload the log.

Good job Sav, it's muggy has hell here. Might stack some more kindling myself.

zap

CTwoodburner said:
You may want to oil or fix that pin so you can get it back to horizontal for proper operation...

:lol: i tried vertical and it sucks

Good looking kilning btw!

Dennis,what kind of wood are you making into kindling, is that sassafrass? A little maple?

That was mightly nice of you Dennis to help out a neighbor.

Nice work on the kindling! I go through quite a pit myself. Pine is my kindling wood of choice.

Nice work. I agree it was really humid here today and sticky. I make my kindling from the left overs from spitting, bark and chips. This year I got a nice garage can of cedar scraps from a job I helped with. We replaced some facia and siding on a home that was damaged by bees.

PapaDave said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Lol vertical is bad on knees horizontal is bad for the back!

iceman said:
PapaDave said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Lol vertical is bad on knees horizontal is bad for the back!

All splitters without the verticle option should go straight to the scrap yard, or P.M. me for free removal.

Nice kindling pile.
I was making a pile of my own in this muggy weather, but I was sweating like crazy because I was using my 6lb. maul (and maybe because I'm in such awesome shape - round is a shape!).
My kindling is cedar. When its not knotty, it pops apart when you split it, and it dries in about 18 minutes.
Happy burning!

Hehheh . . . made me laugh today Dennis . . . I tell ya someday we should meet . . . and then we can settle this great debate of ours in person. ;)

For the record, I really do prefer horizontal splitting . . . it works best for me . . . and Dennis prefers vertical splitting . . . it works best for him. I find that I'm faster and it's easier on my back and knees to split horizontally . . . and I believe Dennis finds his way to be easier for him . . . in my own opinion . . . there really is no wrong way of splitting (well maybe trying to split wood with a sledgehammer) . . . Dennis and I just like to give each other a hard time about the way we prefer to split . . . probably since we tend to see and do other wood-related things in a similar fashion . . . this is the one thing we disagree on.

PapaDave said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Dave, if you are finding this hard on the knees, you are doing something drastically wrong.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Dennis,what kind of wood are you making into kindling, is that sassafrass? A little maple?

Except for one poplar that got thrown into the stack it is all soft maple. We've used soft maple for years simply because it splits so easy and it is a fast starter which makes staring fires really quick and easy.

firefighterjake said:
Hehheh . . . made me laugh today Dennis . . . I tell ya someday we should meet . . . and then we can settle this great debate of ours in person. ;)

For the record, I really do prefer horizontal splitting . . . it works best for me . . . and Dennis prefers vertical splitting . . . it works best for him. I find that I'm faster and it's easier on my back and knees to split horizontally . . . and I believe Dennis finds his way to be easier for him . . . in my own opinion . . . there really is no wrong way of splitting (well maybe trying to split wood with a sledgehammer) . . . Dennis and I just like to give each other a hard time about the way we prefer to split . . . probably since we tend to see and do other wood-related things in a similar fashion . . . this is the one thing we disagree on.

Jake, consider going to Woodstock's bbq next month. We are almost sure now that we are going to try to get there this year.

Backwoods Savage said:
firefighterjake said:

Jake, consider going to Woodstock's bbq next month. We are almost sure now that we are going to try to get there this year.

I actually thought about doing that . . . I'll have to check my schedule . . . and if I do go make sure I leave the checkbook and credit cards at home . . . just in case.

Not to interupt the vertical/horizontal debate or summer BBQ plans, but I have to agree on the weather. We just travelled to D.C. and tried to do most of the driving at night to avoid the heat. Ended up driving up 23 NB out of Maumee and on to I-75 in the late afternoon. The car thermometer kept showing 89 -91 and humid. Just miserable stuff for us. D.C. was just as bad. I love being up north! It's forecast to hit 43 Friday night at our house. That should cool things down a bit!

Id have to have a crane to set some oaks up on horizontal, I can barely role them over to the splitter much less pick them up. Little 6 to 10 inchers are fine. Thats why we have choices Lots of Luck.

Uper, I know of what you speak! Over and over we ask ourselves why we left the U.P., especially when the weather is so dadblasted uncomfortable. It is bad enough here and I really don't know how those southern folks stand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.