Too hot to do much else so...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Horizontal for stuff I can lift easy or is short. I go vertical for big stuff, or for pieces too long to fit the right way (go sideways)- I split 40" long stuff for the kiln.

4512_1075315598263_1087394010_30198459_793431_n.jpg

Does wood split vertically dry faster? burn better? If anybody has good data, I'm in

For those that have not liked splitting vertically, try changing the height of what you are sitting on. On a milk crate, my back would starting getting sore after an hour or so (which was still better than horizontal which I can do for a few minutes). One day my crate wasn't handy so I just tipped over a 16" round, tossed on my cushion and was able to split for hours with no problem.

Good going Wendell. I agree on the heights as it can be different for different folks.

Chris S. Yes, it does burn better but not faster. Everything works better when you treat it right ;-) so just keep on splitting vertically and all will be well.

wendell said:
For those that have not liked splitting vertically, try changing the height of what you are sitting on. On a milk crate, my back would starting getting sore after an hour or so (which was still better than horizontal which I can do for a few minutes). One day my crate wasn't handy so I just tipped over a 16" round, tossed on my cushion and was able to split for hours with no problem.

For me it's not the height of the seat . . . it's the fact that I'm always up and down, up and down . . . I even tried rolling the wood next to me like Dennis does . . . but it still didn't work out for me . . . different strokes for different folks I guess.

Maybe I'll have to come out and show you how it is done, Jake. To me, the up and down is good as it gives you a chance to stretch. I always bring over as many rounds as I can reach and then go over and get some more.

Plus, if I came for a visit, I could head out to the coast and get some of your lobstahs.

wendell said:
Maybe I'll have to come out and show you how it is done, Jake. To me, the up and down is good as it gives you a chance to stretch. I always bring over as many rounds as I can reach and then go over and get some more.

Plus, if I came for a visit, I could head out to the coast and get some of your lobstahs.

Come on out . . . plenty of those sea spiders to go around . . . me . . . I'll stick with a good hunk of prime rib. ;) :)

Sea spiders!! That's funny, Jake.
Horizontal, Vertical........toemayto, toemahto. We'll argue anything, won't we. :roll:
Give me a good sized New York strip any day. That and a big salad. Yep.

PapaDave said:
Sea spiders!! That's funny, Jake.
Horizontal, Vertical........toemayto, toemahto. We'll argue anything, won't we. :roll:
Give me a good sized New York strip any day. That and a big salad. Yep.

Yeah . . . well what should that salad have for a dressing . . . I vote for ranch. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.