Too much draft or just real seasoned wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Ok, got the new Lopi Answer Insert fired up last night and tonight (couldn't wait any longer). I threw in a well seasoned log a few hours ago on a nice bed of coals. Let it burn for a few minutes and shut down the air control all the way. To my surprise, still seemed to have a decent flame coming out. My question, with the air flow in the closed position, is it set up to still let in a minimal amount of air into the insert? (I'm thinking that the wood is so well seasonsed that this is good..just want to make sure I don't have too much draft?)
As always, thanks for all the replies and I can one day return some knowledge after learning more.

The stove is not completely air tight. The air intake control is set to stop prior to completely shut.
I would suggest doing the dollar bill test to make sure the door is properly adjusted.
Some manufacturers do not adjust the stove door at the factory due to separate shipping etc.

The flames are normal, but you should notice they become less than with the door open or air open.
If no change at all, you need to check for an air leak, I'd start with door first.

Thanks, I'll check the dollar bill test after she cools down. Dollar bill in between the door seal all around, and it shouldn't move/wiggle with the door closed, right?
Also, is the nut on the back of the door handle supposed to loosen up from time to time? I tightened it a few days ago, but it seems like after a few open/shuts of the door has it a little loose again?

Actually, some of the "best-looking" burns for me have occured when I've turned-down
the draft all-the-way. Creates almost like a "firestorm" in the box.

ilikewood said:
Ok, got the new Lopi Answer Insert fired up last night and tonight (couldn't wait any longer). I threw in a well seasoned log a few hours ago on a nice bed of coals. Let it burn for a few minutes and shut down the air control all the way. To my surprise, still seemed to have a decent flame coming out. My question, with the air flow in the closed position, is it set up to still let in a minimal amount of air into the insert? (I'm thinking that the wood is so well seasonsed that this is good..just want to make sure I don't have too much draft?)
As always, thanks for all the replies and I can one day return some knowledge after learning more.

Takes some trial and error figuring out a new stove. Give it some time. How tall is your chimney?

ilikewood said:
Thanks, I'll check the dollar bill test after she cools down. Dollar bill in between the door seal all around, and it shouldn't move/wiggle with the door closed, right?
Also, is the nut on the back of the door handle supposed to loosen up from time to time? I tightened it a few days ago, but it seems like after a few open/shuts of the door has it a little loose again?

The bill should have some decent resistance against it. Doesn't necessarily have to be stuck to the point where it would rip.
Might even wiggle a lil bit, but should have some resistance. If it pulls right out with no effort, then adjustment is needed. You can also burn an incense stick and hold near door and see if it sucks the smoke in.

Thanks for the info. Chimney is appx 25' tall. Runs on the exterior of the house.
Going to have to try the double nut on the door handle, as it just seems too loose....almost seems like a piece is missing as it has a wobble to it. (Like the handle isn't fully in the door)

Can you put a lockwasher before the nut? If no room for a double nut, a little loctite, or even silicone adhesive caulk on the threads will usually hold it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.