Too much fire wood so this load is going to the mill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
My neighbor lost a lot of Red Maples earlier this year. We all have plenty of fire wood and his son-in-law is going to be building a house behind me. The son-in-law has decided that the Maple should go to the mill and be used for his flooring. I am not sure how all of this will work out but I am glad to help out. Does anyone have any idea how many trailer loads it would take to floor a 3,000sq foot home?
Jacob2.jpg
Jacob3.JPG
Jacob4.JPG

Gonna be a lot of slab wood there before getting down to a block that they can mill into flooring...

Say you can get a 12x12 out of them.. flooring is 3/4 thick, so with waste probably a little over 1". That's 12 boards, which might be able to get you 36 floorboards.. what width is he going to do? The narrower you go, the more waste there will be..

Sorry for the non-answer.. I don't know how many trailer loads it will take, but for a 3k house? A lot. That's a pretty big house. Then there will also be more waste during the install. Maybe bring one trailer load to the mill and see what they are able to make out of it, then go from there.

Same reply, The logs in the picture look to be pallet grade. It may have some great grain but will need to be kiln dried carefully and even then it could be a real handful to keep flat over the course of the year due to the odd grain.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but it will take a bit of time to dry the boards out . . . and time to mill the boards so that they have a tongue and groove (unless he is planning on just putting down the boards with exposed nails/pegs) I suspect it can be done . . . but I also suspect that he would save time (and maybe money) by buying wood flooring ready to go.

Reactions: gerry100
Status
Not open for further replies.