too much mold on oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ecks

Dec 21, 2021
Roanoke, VA
Hello Everyone. There was an oak that was cut 8 months back and at the time I didn't have the appropriate chainsaw so just left it sitting on the ground. This month I forced myself to finally split it and it looks like it developed a lot of mold on the bark. Also, the outside turned white. Is 8 months too long to have it sitting on the ground and should I toss it or is it still usable after drying? Any thoughts appreciated.
IMG_20211221_170051.jpg
IMG_20211221_170058.jpg
IMG_20211221_170105.jpg

If you get it up off the ground with top cover with gap between the wood and top cover for air flow, it should be an non issue by the time its dry in a year or two.

once you start seasoning it the moisture will start to go on the wood. At that point what is growing on it will start to die off. I have stacked wood that has sat a year or so and its got fungi all over it. Give it a few weeks and its gone. You will need to keep the wood DRY, top cover or put in shed. If top covering make sure to over hang the top front and back ..

The wood is starting to get punky in the white area but overall you still have great firewood there. Stack and top cover and you'll be set. The oak may require two years to season (dry enough for burning).

Looks good to me. Lot of solid wood left. Get it dry and burn it.

I had that on bad wood a bad firewood guy delivered. And he stacked it, which exacerbated the problem I found a week later. It responded well to cold, sun, and leaning pieces against our stone house, underneath the big soffit. The white mold seemed to die, though still there. And never smelled a thing when it burned.

I think you should toss it !!
right into a truck and bring it to me
I'll dispose of it for you ;);lol;lol;lol

Oak usually gets mold, especially when you season it 2-3 years, as long as its solid burn it.

Hello Everyone. There was an oak that was cut 8 months back and at the time I didn't have the appropriate chainsaw so just left it sitting on the ground. This month I forced myself to finally split it and it looks like it developed a lot of mold on the bark. Also, the outside turned white. Is 8 months too long to have it sitting on the ground and should I toss it or is it still usable after drying? Any thoughts appreciated.View attachment 288216View attachment 288217View attachment 288218
if its free i take it if you deliver to me in pa

Punky/ rotten wood of OP's pic limited to the outside sapwood (it might have started rotting on the stump before you harvested wood).
There will be some loss of cellulose/ firewood in sapwood (maybe ~45% ?).
Let it dry, keep it dry, and it'll be fine.

The rotted parts will give some heat just less. I've known people that burnt nothing but half rotted wood. I've burnt half rotten tree of heaven. I usually call it foam wood.

burning some right now. don't worry about it

Hello Everyone. There was an oak that was cut 8 months back and at the time I didn't have the appropriate chainsaw so just left it sitting on the ground. This month I forced myself to finally split it and it looks like it developed a lot of mold on the bark. Also, the outside turned white. Is 8 months too long to have it sitting on the ground and should I toss it or is it still usable after drying? Any thoughts appreciated.View attachment 288216View attachment 288217View attachment 288218
That is absolutely nothing to be concerned about, 100% guaranteed, wood looks great, stack it top cover let er season.

Golly gee, nothing wrong with what I see there, I often burn much much worse that that. Burn it, the mold doesn't care as it gets incinerated anyways.