Too much wood? Nah...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TX-L

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Sep 1, 2010
Tug Hill State Forest, NY
Well, I've been busy. In various locations around the yard, I have the following wood stash, cut/split/stacked (numbers represent face cords). All wood split by hand with the trusty 'ol axe.

17 - Oak, hard maple, blue beech, & bitternut hickory left over in the woodshed & basement from the last few years;
6 - Hard maple & bitternut hickory, from last fall;
3 - Red oak, from 3 years ago;
10 - Hard maple, from last fall;
36 - White ash, soft maple, American elm, black cherry, blue beech, from last fall/this spring;
10 - White ash & soft maple, from this spring;

20 - Approximately 20 cords of almost entirely red oak, cut/split, not yet stacked.

Girlfriend says I'm obsessed. Looking forward to winter.

Can you have too much wood?

I get the same thing from my gal....But then she point out firewood when she sees it. To answer the question...NO!

I would like to see pictures, especially with the 20'+ of snow on it that you guys get up there ;lol!

I think the true measure of obsession is how many years ahead you are. I've got about six years stacked right now, a couple more cords of rounds, and plan to bring home more.
I've got your stash figured at about 33 full cords...how many years is that? Good work, BTW. :cool:

Like JimJ asks, space is the question, if I had enough space then I would never worry about the volume of wood, I would gather to my hearts and or backs content, unfortunately I don't have enough space so I cant get your crazy amounts LOL

Since I started gathering more wood, and got caught up in the wood gathering disease, I have about 4 cords. I keep all the different species seperate and single stack them. I am getting quit a processing area going on.

As long as you have the space & your back/shoulders are OK,keep bringing it home I say.

Based on the first 4 years of burning, I use between 5 and 6 cords in a heating season. My target was to get to 4 years worth(24 cord) split and stacked. I'll hit that this week when I wrap up some splitting/stacking of a large white oak scrounge.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Got wood I would say you Got wood

My neighbor stopped in his truck while I was piling wood, his very young kid yelled out the window of the truck "GOT WOOD?" His dad laughed quite a bit, I don't think the kid knew the hidden meaning.

We didn't get 20' of snow last winter. These stats from the Nat'l Weather Service: Copenhagen - 91 inches; Hooker - 129 inches. These are the two closest places to my location (3 miles from Barnes Corners).

I have lots of space to pile, as I have 20 acres at home and 28 at camp.

I won't keep all this for myself, right now I have 39 face cords obligated for sale this summer/fall. I am keeping the 17 that's under cover, along with 19 more (hard maple, oak, hickory). I burn around 8-10 per year with the very frugal Blaze King. I'm putting up a new garage and plan on putting a stove in it, so my consumption will go up in direct proportion with garage usage this winter. I have a Lopi 520 that I'm going to retrofit with new Liberty internals, I have the brackets, secondary tubes, and bypass components right now, just have to fabricate the secondary air manifold and find time to do it. That's the one going in the garage, it's gonna be a great heater when finished.

If I get ambitous I'll take some photos of some of the piles.

I would like to see pictures, especially with the 20'+ of snow on it that you guys get up there ;lol!

Not wood, but here is some snow:

Late Jan Copenhagen.JPG

Above: Main Street, Copenhagen, Lewis County

Lowville, 6 Feb 06.jpg

Above: Lowville, Lewis County

Tug Hill Snow.jpg

Above: Tug Hill, Lewis County, not sure exactly where

Apr 18 Tug Hill.JPG

Above: April 18th, 2010? Plow turnaround on the Salmon River Rd, Montague, Lewis County

So, it goes without saying: You want your winter's firewood INDOORS!

I love winter and snow, but that's just too intense!:mad:

Good for you getting the wood on hand. If my body could take it I'd too have much more than the little bit we have right now..

If I ever get to much. I'll sell some & buy the wife some flowers. (& post a "boastful " thread here)
Then I wouldn't have to much & have to go get more ;)
Am I Obsessed ? Yes, so what?

From the pictures, you need to GPS the various locations of the stacks ;)

We had snow piled almost that high two years ago. I'd like to see at least one 3 foot + snowfall every winter. I remember how quiet it was with no vehicles running. Everything looked so dirfferent because the drifts filled in the low areas and completely hid the road.

Reactions: Locust Post
We had snow piled almost that high two years ago. I'd like to see at least one 3 foot + snowfall every winter. I remember how quiet it was with no vehicles running. Everything looked so dirfferent because the drifts filled in the low areas and completely hid the road.

I like that too but I like it to hit after the wife and I are both safely at home by the fire.

That face cord stuff is too much arithmetic for me.

Very Nice.... Lots of wood! !!

But the saying goes.... Pics, or it Never happened. ;)

Everyone can say they cut that much.

Seeing is believing.

All that snow....and not one picture of a snowman:cool:

All that snow....and not one picture of a snowman:cool:

Who has time to make a snowman when you're digging yourself out of that much snow . . . besides I see two snowmobiles . . . which are a lot more fun than making a snowman. :)

Reactions: woodsmaster
NEVER, EVER, ENOUGH WOOD. ever.

photo1jkf.jpg

Good job on the hard work. I'm getting there, but when you burn 9 cord a year It takes longer to get ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.