Too much wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
I was originally depressed because I couldn’t score any free wood off of Craigslist. Every time I called it was either gone, too far away or crap. Then I hit!
I had one guy down the street from work that used to have a small saw mill. He had about 3-4 cords of rounds and thick (3-4 inch) slab wood that he wanted to get rid of, all oak I told him I could work on it on my way home from work. The next day I hooked up with a tree guy that was taking down 10-15 good size oaks. I had to share that with other scroungers so I only got 1 ½ cords that weekend. He took down more during the week and I got another cord the following week. Two weeks later he calls me and says he has another job up the road from me and if I’ll take it all he won’t even put it on Craigslist. How could I say no? I’ve got 3 cords so far and there are another 2-3 cords left. Add all of this to the 2 cords I took down this spring and I have a mighty pile of rounds to be split. It’s lining the driveway for about 80 feet. I was just pulling in the drive, heaving the wood out of the truck and trailer and going back for another load.
I only picked up a splitter last week so as soon as I’m done with these last couple of cords I’m taking a break from scrounging until I’ve got it all split and stacked.
Of course this is the hottest part of the year so I’m drenched in sweat inside of minutes. Plus I should buy stock in Advil.
My goal is to have 16 cords put up by the fall so I can be a least a year ahead.

Oh yeah, I also found someone who was tearing down their old deck because it didn’t match the house so I got about 250 sq. ft of 2x6 pressure treated to build a wood shed with in my spare time. It’s painted on one side but the other side is still in great shape. (I keep telling myself its only a wood shed.)

Greg H said:
I was originally depressed because I couldn’t score any free wood off of Craigslist. Every time I called it was either gone, too far away or crap. Then I hit!
I had one guy dowe the street from work that used to have a small saw mill. He had about 3-4 cords of rounds and thick (3-4 inch) slab wood that he wanted to get rid of, all oak I told him I could work on it on my way home from work. The next day I hooked up with a tree guy that was taking down 10-15 good size oaks. I had to share that with other scroungers so I only got 1 ½ cords that weekend. He took down more during the week and I got another cord the following week. Two weeks later he calls me and says he has another job up the road from me and if I’ll take it all he won’t even put it on Craigslist. How could I say no? I’ve got 3 cords so far and there are another 2-3 cords left. Add all of this to the 2 cords I took down this spring and I have a mighty pile of rounds to be split. It’s lining the driveway for about 80 feet. I was just pulling in the drive, heaving the wood out of the truck and trailer and going back for another load.
I only picked up a splitter last week so as soon as I’m done with these last couple of cords I’m taking a break from scrounging until I’ve got all split and stacked.
Of course this is the hottest part of the year so I’ve drenched in sweat inside of minutes. Plus I should buy stock in Advil.
My goal is to have 16 cords put up by the fall so I can be a least a year ahead.

Oh yeah, I also found someone who was tearing down their old deck because it didn’t match the house so I got about 250 sq. ft of 2x6 pressure treated to build a wood shed with in my spare time. It’s painted on one side but the other side is still in great shape. I keep telling myself its only a wood shed.

Sounds like you have some work ahead of you, please get some pictures up we enjoy seeing other people work! I just noticed your wood splitter, that will make it easier. :coolgrin:

zap

Nice! So far CL has been a bust for me & whenever I've talked to tree service guys they're taking the wood to sell. I've only scored through friends setting me up, kinda like when I was single. :) Guess I'm no good at goin' in cold.

Chris I have a storage set up similar to STSS http://www.stsscoinc.com/ It's an 8 ft dia.swimming pool with a HDPE liner, and heat exchanger coils.

Midwestcoast I just got lucky with this guy. He'd rather cut trees than hump the wood around. I make sure I do a good job of cleaning up and stay on the good side of the home owners. This way he knows that he has someone that will take care of the wood and keep his customers happy. Heck, I even helped the last homeowner split a cord of the wood so he would have something to burn and I still got 5-6 cords out of it.

I definatly owe this guy a case of what ever he drinks.

I'll try to get some pics tonight.

16 cords by fall, and you'll be a year ahead...yikes. I thought 5 cord a year was bad enough.

RAY_PA said:
16 cords by fall, and you'll be a year ahead...yikes. I thought 5 cord a year was bad enough.

lol I have been running 10 a year....Wish and hope I use 8 this year.

smokinjay said:
Wish and hope I use 8 this year.

Better not to think of it as a number. It takes as much as it takes.

Keep this tree guy on your XMas card list and make sure to stay in touch with him. He'll keep you in firewood for as long as he's in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.