Too smokey...from the BIS Nova

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChristyC

Dec 13, 2017
BC Canada
We have a BIS Nova ( now Lennox, I understand), installed 3 years ago- and we seem to a much more noticeable smell of smoke than the previous 2 winters. We open the door ajar, to get smoke moving up chimney before re-loading with wood, but that doesn't always prevent smoke from billowing out into the living room. We have a fan, and a couple of ducts to spread heat to another room. The other room sometimes has a coat of ash on the furniture right below the grate...is that to be expected? Or could that be a symptom?

Things I would check:

1. Is your chimney clean?
2. Does opening a window solve it?
3. Try shutting your fans down before reloading.

Let us know about these 3 questions and that might help narrow it down.

Also I see your in BC, I’m just south of you depending on where you are and we have an inversion settled in on us and air stagnation advisory. I’m just sound of the Canadian border in Idaho. When we get the inversions it makes it hard for the the stoves to draft and if your chimney is questionable on height or size then that might be a contributing factor.

Things I would check:

1. Is your chimney clean?
2. Does opening a window solve it?
3. Try shutting your fans down before reloading.

Let us know about these 3 questions and that might help narrow it down.

Also I see your in BC, I’m just south of you depending on where you are and we have an inversion settled in on us and air stagnation advisory. I’m just sound of the Canadian border in Idaho. When we get the inversions it makes it hard for the the stoves to draft and if your chimney is questionable on height or size then that might be a contributing factor.
Thanks, we wondered about chimney, and are having it cleaned this week. Will try the fan.
And, you’re right, we had an inversion for a few days.