Too Windy to Cut That Ash!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
Well, I was gonna' cut that big Ash on the back of my property this afternoon but I waited too long and now our area is under a high wind advisory. Winds 30 to 40 mph and gusting to near 60 mph and this is Kentucky! I'm not up for that kind of "adventure."

I did get out just after sunrise, before the wind got dangerous, to a Craig's List posting and cut a nice Red Oak and Hackbnerry. It was my first Hackberry. I hear they season quickly and put out some BTU's. That made 5 trees from the Craig's List posting. 2 Honey Locust 2 Red Oak and the Hackberry. Well, I think it's Hackberry I can't find a good picture to b sure. It has a "warty" looking gray bark that gets smoother higher in the tree and a very white wood when split.

I borrowed a truck so I wouldn't kill my yellow Baja, myself or some one else on the road. Thanks for bringing me back to earth Wood Shed Forum! :coolsmile:

Good decision, no need to temp MN on a windy day ;)
The Baja is a sweet ride, no need to tear it up with overloaded firewood. ( Watch CL for a cheap trailer :) )

Maybe the wind will make for more CL "free wood" postings :lol:

Sounds like yo made a good score anyway :)

Yep, very windy here too, way to windy to fall a tree. I even decided not to do any splitting today for fear of a dead branch coming down...and it's cold as hell out there in that wind! :shut:

Same thing here. I got home early from work and had thoughts earlier in the day to drop one or at least go scout around to see what I might want to get the saw into. Too windy to be around the woods. Then thought I would drag the splitter out instead. Was outside with the dog for about 10 minutes and scratched that idea too. Put a pot of coffee on and got the stove cookin and here I sit on the computer.

I had a white ash for the stove and a really nice black walnut or 2 for the buyer that I wanted to fell today but there was no way I was going to risk it. My barometric damper has been going wild today with all the gusts here in Bowling Green.

Definitely when it is real windy, stay out of the woods. That is always the best policy....but some never pay attention anyway.

Tell me how much sense this makes... from the online weather...

Friday Night:
Partly cloudy. Low of 1F with a windchill as low as -8F. Winds from the North at 5-10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

I'd love to see this rain at -8* hahahaha! I'd be surprised if it gets that cold though, it'd have to drop about 20* in just a couple hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.