Tools of the trade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caribfan

Feb 4, 2012
Southern Maine
I am anxiously awaiting the installation of my Mt Vernon AE on Thursday. In the meantime I want to be fully prepared. Any thoughts on what to get for cleaning equipment? Some people I have talked to have an ash-vac, others just use a shop-vac and are careful not to clean too soon after shutdown. I have also heard that a stiff brush of some sort was good for brushing down the inside. What about "scraping the pot" - do I need a special tool or does it come with one? I just want to be ready to go on Thursday

Caribfan said:
What about "scraping the pot" - do I need a special tool or does it come with one?

Not needed if burning quality pellets.

just sayin.

I've never had to scrape mine, just shove the vac hose down there when cleaning.

I was lucky enuf to win an ash vac.

I used it a couple times and switched back to my shop vac with a drywall bag in it.

I use a Rigid Shop-Vac
6 Gallon Model WD06350
I installed a Hepa Filter in it to block the fines.
The filter cost me more than the vac.

I get all the easy to find ash with that.
To get into the small areas I have a self-made reducer that has a 1/2" hose on it.
With the small hose I can really get into those small areas of the stove.
See Hose Adapter Below.

For Burn pot scraping/chipping I use a painters 5-1 tool.
I find it is stiff enough to work well and the pointed side gets into the nooks and crannies.
See 5-1 tool Below

For Vent pipe cleaning I use a Vent brush
See Vent Brush Below

For Glass cleaning I use damp paper towel with some ash on in.
If it is really cruddy I use Rutland White Off Glass cleaner.
See Glass Cleaner.

I also use a small LED flashlight

If you service your blowers you will need
20wt oil for electric motors (3-1 Blue Can)
Air Compressor
Old Tooth Brush
I use Carburetor Cleaner to clean the (Metal Parts only) Exhaust blower impeller and cage.
I use CRC Electronic contact cleaner for the Convection blower (Plastic Parts) and the motors.

That should get you started.
Some folks use a leaf blower (do a search for leaf blower on this site)

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Attachments

• 5in1.jpg
    5in1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 528
  • Vac Adapter 014.jpg
    Vac Adapter 014.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 520
  • 4in Vent Brush.jpg
    4in Vent Brush.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 514
  • Glass Cleaner.jpg
    Glass Cleaner.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 503
I have an ash vack and love it. Wire brushes and a good puty knife are very valuable too. I have to scrape my burn pot, but mine is a Harman, and this is common.

I remember reading someone's post about carbon buildup on the bottom causing it to get stuck during the auto-clean cycle.

I bought a gasket scraper at Harbor Freight for $3. Item number 98507. For some reason it's a "blacklisted item" whatever the hell that means, and it won't let me post a link to it.

I used my dremel tool to give it a sharper edge. I also put sharp edges on the sides so I can use it to scrape the sides. It works great. I only scrape it when I see some buildup in there. I use a small mirror and a flashlight so I can see the bottom of the burnpot.

Using my modified gasket scraper it doesn't take long to scrape it when needed. I don't scrape it every time I clean, and when I do it's less than a 2 minute process.

I have a Cleva ash-vac that is rebranded as a Breckwell that I got from Costco. It does a great job as far as I am concerned. Have cleaned probably 10 times and haven't emptied it yet. Bought a micro-attachment kit for like $8 that I use with it to clean the baffle, heat exchanger fins, and the ducts on the back floor on each side.

I vac the ash off the glass with one of my brush attachments in the micro attachment kit. Then I wipe it down with wet paper towels. I let it air-dry and then put on a coat of ceramic cooktop cleaner that we have here. I let that dry and then buff it off with the old t-shirt as well. It seems to help the glass get less dirty. No matter what, the glass gets dirty but this seems to keep it cleaner longer because less sticks to it.

I have my 11/32 nutdriver standing by for the next cleaning. I'll be at the 1-ton mark so I am going to pull the exhaust blower to clean the housing and the blower itself. I might even run the Linteater up the vent pipe as well.

My #1 tool is the Leaf blower (w/ vacuum option).

Congratulations on the Vernon. Welcome to the Forums.

smoke show said:
Caribfan said:
What about "scraping the pot" - do I need a special tool or does it come with one?
I used it a couple times and switched back to my shop vac with a drywall bag in it.

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you do with these drywall bags? Put it around the existing filter?

Ejectr said:
smoke show said:
Caribfan said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you do with these drywall bags? Put it around the existing filter?

The bag is a pre filter... Helps to filter out the very fine particles, before it reaches the regular filter. Using a Dry-wall bag and a HEPA filter yields much better results than my Ash Vac.

I bought a Cleva Ash Vac a few weeks back and I to have gone back to my Shop Vac. The Shop vac has a longer hose, doesnt clog up after 2 uses, and has 5 times the amount of suction...

The As Vacs look nicer on the Hearth. But my Shop vac gets it done..

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 482
i think my stove has the same burn pot as yours. i know the mt vernon insert does from seeing pics here.
i use a long shafted flathead screwdriver to scrape it.
i started with the tool that came w/ the stove. but once i became familiar with my stove, i was able to use the screwdriver and do this job (far more effectively) by feel.
i no longer have to put my head in the stove.
there is never much to scrape. but there is a little carbon scale on the bottom faces usually.
mine has the manual pull cleaning rod. and sometimes i will feel the resistance on that first pull as the stuff is scraped away.

for the inside of my firebox, i use a cheap natural bristle paint brush. 4" wide. like around $2 at the hardware store.
just the plain wooden handle style
brushes.jpg

i have a "shop brush" that i use in the channel that leads to the combustion blower.
but just like a q-tip, i'm careful not to go too far with it (so as not to hit the blades on the blower.)
it looks basically like this. but with a straight handle.
i also use this to finish off the firebox after the paint brush.
the long soft bristles get behind the edges of the pellet chute assembly after the baffle plate is off, better than the paint brush.
images

i use paper towels with water on the glass and i dry and polish it with a soft non fuzzy flannel rag.

DexterDay said:
Ejectr said:
smoke show said:
Caribfan said:

The bag is a pre filter... Helps to filter out the very fine particles, before it reaches the regular filter. Using a Dry-wall bag and a HEPA filter yields much better results than my Ash Vac.

I bought a Cleva Ash Vac a few weeks back and I to have gone back to my Shop Vac. The Shop vac has a longer hose, doesnt clog up after 2 uses, and has 5 times the amount of suction...

The As Vacs look nicer on the Hearth. But my Shop vac gets it done..
Got it....thank you for that.

I hear where lots of people use paint brushes to get the ash off the inside of the firebox. I tried that my very 1st year.

Very messy. IMO. I found a Shop Vac attachment that acts like a paintbrush. Eliminating lots of light fly ash in the air.

I have several different brushes for cleaning in between the heat exchange tubes, and different passages of my furnace. Most are dryer lint trap brushes. Long skinny brushes, varying in length and bristle stiffness. (Wide open) Then a decent wire brush, about the size of a toothbrush, for cleaning the pot.

Attachments

• brush.jpg
    brush.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 472
  • wirebrush.jpg
    wirebrush.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 485
Thanks to everyone for their input. I have a shopping list ready to go for tomorrow. I'm sure I will adjust as I gather more info here. Will be getting 1.2 tons of spruce pointe pellets to start me off as I want to start with a good pellet to get the hang of operating the stove and many people here have had good things to say about them. They are little pricey but it sounds like you get what you pay for. I have a friend that gets his pellets at Walmart and got some really bad ones this year. I will trade him a couple of bags so I can see what a bad pellet burns like. Then maybe I can put my stove cleaning kit to good use. Thanks again.

My 1# major tool is the dedicated ash vac, then maybe the leaf blower. The rest I'm sure you have laying around the house and you'll figure out what you need and works best for your stove by trial and error.

Caribfan,

It is ultimately up to you what you burn for pellets.

I think you will find it is easier to burn high quality pellets for more initial cost that it is to burn the cheap stuff.

In most cases higher quality pellets (like the Spruce Point's) will give you netter operation and keep your stove cleaner longer.

The cheap fuel is tempting but as all things cheap....it will cost you in the long run.

Like my Step Dad used to say....."Free wood is never free."

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.