Top Auger Jams Constantly on Englander Pellrt Sove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just about ready to toss my brand new Englander pellet stove out into my drive way.

I have not been able to get through to the customer service line at England Stove Works Inc. I have a desk job and have tried all day long for the past week and a half. I just about have my redial button wore out on my phone. This is the number I've been dialing (800)-245-6489

I have had to remove and realign the top auger six times now. I have even switched motors from top to bottom thinking that maybe there could be a problem with the motor itself. The top auger continues to jam.

The sail switch seems to functioning as advertise. I have ran the test as posted in the manufacturers troubleshooting PDF and all seems to be working as advertised.

I know this is a jam issue anyway. It jams hard. I am unable to break the jam by shaking the motor up and down. I have had to remove the auger six times out of ten jams. I have not yet burned six bags of pellets.

This is beginning to look like a design flaw to me. Have others had this problem persist.

I am a licensed heating tech. Although have had no experience with pellet stoves before now.

The top auger continues to jam after around 12 hours of operation.

I am using Premium 100% recycled hardwood pellets. I do not believe that these pellets have ever been wet.

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME!!!! It is going to be cold up here soon.

Thanks

I haven't had any problems with mine. Currently using Pennington pellets. A few long ones but most are ok.

what brand are you burning? have you tried a different brand? also, have you tried to remove the restrictor plate at the bottom of the hopper? that may help prevent jamming

I got to speak with a representative from Englander this morning.

It is looking as though my problem is with the length of my pellets. This is one case were longer is not better. I have purchased a different brand of pellet to see if I have better luck.

The pellets that I am currently using are up to two inches long. I am told this is probably the problem.

The folks at Englander were great, (once I was able to get through).

I will keep posting as I figure this issue out.

There is a spec for pellet length. Ideally there should be very few longer than 1", with 1 1/2" being the absolute longest.
What brand, BTW, is too long?
Ask the factory (pellet) about that......it appears they do not meet the standards - and most claim to.

From PFI:
There are five fuel characteristics prescribed for both grades:

1. Bulk density per cubic foot (0.028 cubic meters) shall not be less than 40 pounds (18 kg)
2. The diameter shall be 1/4 to 5/16 inch (635-794 mm)
3. Maximum length shall be 1 and 1/2 inches (254-127 mm)
4. Fines (dust) of not more than 0.5% by weight shall pass through a 1/8 inch (317.5 mm) screen
5. Sodium content shall be less than 300 parts per million (ppm).

----------end quoted material---------

So, yes, 1 1/2" pellets should burn fine - if they don't it is the fault of the stove maker. But 2" is too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.