Top Auger won't turn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jgilman75

Nov 30, 2020
Maine
hello there, I have a few questions about my englander stove. The top auger stopped working. the bottom one turns, but the top doesn't seem to as pellets will start to come out but they stop flowing after a few minutes and the stove errors out. I have to admit, this comes after I had cleaned out the stove, but didn't replace the bottom of the burn plate correctly and my fire was down by the igniter. i hope I didn't scorch anything.... it wasn't burning like that for long but there was an odor like something plasticky was burning. It worked fine after that, but later in the middle of the night, it pooped out on me. I had a friend come over before calling a repair man and he found an auger gasket that needed replacement. he also said the bottom motor was getting hot, he think's its the wrong type of motor for a continuous running auger. he also admittedly doesn't know anything about pellet stoves, but is very smart and handy so he's trying to help. is it normal for the motor to get hot? what does that mean.... also , do you guys think i fried something in the stove? should i call a stove repair man?

OK,burned plastic usually means plastic melting in the lower auger,or, an electric motor burning up.You may have created part of this problem. 1, running it with the burn pot out of place,you may have had a bit of a burn back,and the lower auger is now full of black burnt crap,which puts a high load on the motor.Look in there,and if the case,pull the auger and clean everything.Yes,this also can affect the temperature of the auger motors.2- the top auger only runs part time,not continuously,like the bottom.If you want, you can test the motors with a jumper wire,directions can be found using the search box above.Also,if you do have to remove a or both augers,you can check the bearings,to see if they are going bad,getting tight.Also,to reinstall,there is an alignment procedure,use search box above,or go to England's website.Others should chime in.

Ok so to simply explain the 25pdv and pdvc these stove use 2 augers. The top auger is the timed auger it’s on off sequence is set by the programming in the control board. the bottom auger runs continuously. The vacuum switch that hooks to the back of the fire box by a silicone hose is what controls the power to the upper auger. The bottom auger, combustion blower and power for the control board functions (whether stove runs or a safety shut down) the only plastic in the stoves are the vacuum switch’s, and the hight temp poly’s the motor manufacturer uses. What you may have smelled is the windings in the auger motors as they failed. If it were my stove I would put 2 new auger motors. Pull the augers out clean the tubes and shafts, grease the bearings and fire up the stove.

Reactions: Mt Bob