Top Down Burn Only Works If......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
......your stove totally burns its load of wood (no bed hot coals in the morning).
Don't get me wrong, I love top-down burning - it's the "cat's meow"!!
But, when I wake up in the morning, and I am able to dig-up a decent bed of coals
to re-start my fire, top-down is out-of-the question - I need to build my fire conventionally.
Otherwise, I'm stuck scooping out a full bucket of mostly coals.
Doing it this way, I'm able to go for 3 days + between ash removal.

At that time, "top-down" is still the preferred method of "cold start".

If you can get a good bed of coals, why do you need to "build" a fire anyway. A few sticks of kindling (cedar preferably) and some splits on top of that and 10 min later I am off to the races. I love top down starts but but when I think of 'starting' a fire, I think of paper and matches. If I have coals, thats not something I need to do. Not sure I quite understand the scooping out a bucket of coals. Do you burn them down with a wide open draft and a couple of small splits? Granted, I'm not in an area where sub zero temps are bleeding my house so I can afford to be a little more patient with the process.

WoodpileOCD said:
If you can get a good bed of coals, why do you need to "build" a fire anyway. A few sticks of kindling (cedar preferably) and some splits on top of that and 10 min later I am off to the races. I love top down starts but but when I think of 'starting' a fire, I think of paper and matches. If I have coals, thats not something I need to do. Not sure I quite understand the scooping out a bucket of coals. Do you burn them down with a wide open draft and a couple of small splits? Granted, I'm not in an area where sub zero temps are bleeding my house so I can afford to be a little more patient with the process.

Exactly......
In my setup, where I'm literally burning 24/7, even though I have a small stove, there always seems
to be enough hot coals you can dig-up & use some kindling, along with a bellows, to get your fire re-started.
Otherwise, to get an effective top-down burn, I'm stuck shoveling out a firebox of unburned coals
(you'd be surprised how much of the total volume that takes up).

To make a long story short, top-down has become an occasional thing (not daily).

I always figured that "top down" is a way of starting a fire, not keeping it going. If you are doing 24/7 burning and don't light a match then you don't need the method. However, if you are supplying your own ignition source (vs using coals in the stove) then go for it. I would never shovel coals on top of my pile to light up.

Yeah. I believe that is why it is called a fire starting method. I don't throw Super Cedars on top of hot coals either. :coolsmirk:

I guess what I'm finding out is I can burn for extended periods
before I need to empty-out my ashes - it's the unburned coals that are/were
taking up the majority of my ash volume.

The top-down observation is a bit of an afterthought......

BrotherBart said:
Yeah. I believe that is why it is called a fire starting method. I don't throw Super Cedars on top of hot coals either. :coolsmirk:
If you threw in a couple of shovel fulls I bet it would be a hot fire, maybe I could get my summit to 700 that way. :cheese:

Rob From Wisconsin said:
......your stove totally burns its load of wood (no bed hot coals in the morning).
Don't get me wrong, I love top-down burning - it's the "cat's meow"!!
But, when I wake up in the morning, and I am able to dig-up a decent bed of coals
to re-start my fire, top-down is out-of-the question - I need to build my fire conventionally.
Otherwise, I'm stuck scooping out a full bucket of mostly coals.
Doing it this way, I'm able to go for 3 days + between ash removal.

At that time, "top-down" is still the preferred method of "cold start".
Top-down is a method of cold start. If you have a bed of coals, just toss in the splits and you're off to the races.

Status
Not open for further replies.