Top of Chimney Discoloration, Cause for Concern?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ko3n3k3

Oct 6, 2013
Hey guys. I just got an Osburn2400i and I have been burning fires in it for 3 days straight now. Some hot fire where the air tubes were glowing and I have let it burn down to hot coals and started another.

I went up on the house today just to check the top of the liner/rain cap and I saw some discoloration and whatnot. Just wondering if this is something I should be worried about.

I am burning fruitwood from trees that were cut down 1.5 years ago. The wood was dry (I burned some whole logs and some that I split). Just wondering if I should be worried about the coloring and spotting up there (cuz I kinda am).

I got some soot on the glass on my first two small fires to "cure the paint". Wondering if these low temp little fires were part of the cause

Attachments

• 20131031_162651.jpg
    20131031_162651.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 150
  • 20131031_162640.jpg
    20131031_162640.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 176
Nope - your all good. Just keep an eye on the inside of the chimney until you know what is going on up there. Like every 4-6 weeks is a good point of reference for maintenance viewing and clan as needed. With the wood you are burning it is likely nor going to be bad at all.

A couple small, cooler fires to cure and break in the stove are not going to leave anything that the HOT fires with dry fuel wont burn out.

Looks fine from here!
It won't stay real pretty..there's fire below! lol.

Expect it to brown with heat and gunk up with smoke film too. It can be cleaned and I usually do clean them up in the spring when I sweep the stack. Carb cleaner seems to work well.

PHEW... wasn't burning until i heard back.. sitting here listening to my damn LP furnace coming on and burning 100 dollar bills down there lolol. FLAME-ON ... thanks again for the help!!!

Low temp fires and smokey start-ups will do it. But gunk on chimney caps is all part of wood burning. Unlike Highbeam I leave the cap and top plate alone when I sweep and the Spring and Summer rains leave is nice and clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.