Top Ten things your woodstove dealer/installer may not what you to know..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Webmaster said:
I can understand a dealer saying that (in a little more flexible way).....for many years in our own shop we promoted non-cats over cats - because honestly they were (and maybe still are) the best thing for the majority of our customers (in Southern NJ). And it is true that many cats were designed to meet the EPA original specs and the track record for some has not been good.

We sold VC, FPX, Dutch and other cat models, so we didn't say they were a no-no, but given the choice we would steer most folks to the non-cats. Probably still would today....

There are exceptions to every rule. Also the market changes. Since most stove buyers from 1986 to 2000 were not as serious (oil was cheap), easy and fast startup was often more important than long burn time.

I guess the ability to view different trends is one advantage of Hearth.com

Perhaps the right answer is "go to hearth.com and make your call after you've read 10,000 posts debating the subject" :)

I did agonize over it myself before trying it. In hindsight, I realize much of the commentary was out of date information or general fear tactics designed to steer you away from something that the dealer didn't offer. And for some people, I wouldn't recommend a cat. But for engineers that I work with, it's a no-brainer because they use them correctly and love them. Especially for 24x7 use coupled with long working hours!

-Colin

Craig,
I must say, your website is the best and you really run a top notch forum here that benefits so many others including me.
Yes, I guess I did call at the right time. At the time the Castine was right around my budget. (I was replacing the tired old coal/wood Russo stove that came with my house) I happened to stumble across a dealer in RI and called for the hell of it. His price for a matte blk Castine was the cheapest 1,199.00, so before hanging up I asked about an Oslo...He said "We just got a shipment of a bunch of matte blk F500's out back that are going real fast at $1,399.00." ........so thinking this was a one time deal....2 years later.....My brother in law was looking for a Firelight 600 last year, he called them and they were still 150-200 dollars cheaper than any one else.
I have 3 other family members that burn wood to save money...we get it buy the grapple load....here is a pic of of us helping each other out about six months ago.

The WoodButcher

Attachments

• woodbutcher_website_02.jpg
    woodbutcher_website_02.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 681
Wow, some pile.....and all the ladies on the forum will be sweating when they see that bare chest.....

Yeah, I can see a price diff of 10%, that would be within normal parameters - reasons being that a really big dealer can save by getting better quantity pricing (in come cases) and can also save 1/2 or more on freight. So one dealer being at 1999 and another at 1799 is in the realm, but much more than that is rare (but certainly possible).....

I am in awe of that woodpile....

Oh, another price thing is that dealers often buy a BIG load on some kind of early buy program in the late winter or spring. Also, some manufacturers have mid-winter sales. Sometimes the two cross-over each other....and since time is money, a dealer will take less for a stove (sometimes) in March (5 months before they have to pay).....especially cash and carry, then they will in Nov. (which is well after they have paid for the stove!)

However, as metal prices go up and the dollar goes down, this is making it harder and harder for manufacturers to bring the stoves to market at a lower price.

We sold VC, FPX, Dutch and other cat models, so we didn’t say they were a no-no, but given the choice we would steer most folks to the non-cats. Probably still would today....
And there aren't any dealers out there that would benefit from steering their customers to a cat stove that is only sold factory direct and has, according to Hearth.com, the highest customer satisfaction of any stove of any type on the market period.

However, as metal prices go up and the dollar goes down, this is making it harder and harder for manufacturers to bring the stoves to market at a lower price.

Well said Craig... and the same for dealers.
And for anyone who has never owned a retail business here is a few things you should note...
It is getting harded and harder to maintain a retail 'brick and mortar' store, profit margins are small, staff is expensive as is insurance, stock, utilities, shipping and all of the thousand and one other things that make up a pleasent, well stocked enterprise. Not trying to lay a trip on anyone, but do give the shops a break- they are just people trying to make a living for themselfs and their employees. If we only had Low*s and HD to shop at for stoves- how many types and styles do you think they would carry ?

Back to the Topic...
Dealers/Installers will answer any question you ask of them, YOU just have to know what to ask= Research.
If your Research tells you something different that what you are hearing, question some more, or move on.

The cost of something is not the price of purchasing it- it is the 'lifespan cost' ( price + maintainence, fuel, insurance etc...) Something we all need to remember.

And for anyone who has never owned a retail business here is a few things you should note…
It is getting harded and harder to maintain a retail ‘brick and mortar’ store, profit margins are small, staff is expensive as is insurance, stock, utilities, shipping and all of the thousand and one other things that make up a pleasent, well stocked enterprise. Not trying to lay a trip on anyone, but do give the shops a break- they are just people trying to make a living for themselfs and their employees. If we only had Low*s and HD to shop at for stoves- how many types and styles do you think they would carry ?
As a retailer, though not of stove products, I completely agree with your perspective.

When I was in retail years ago my boss's favorite saying was "Retail is hell of a lot of fun. It is a shame you can't make a living at it."

Webmaster said:
"Top Ten things that Customers did not want you to know"

4. They are going to take a deal, and then pull out the credit card to take another 2.5% out of your hide.
:coolsmirk:

That is a bit of a stretch - blaming the customer for using a credit card that you have to pay a merchant fee for. Blame the credit card service for "taking it out of your hide" not your bread and butter.

Just curious, do you carry multiple thousands in cash when you go shopping? Do you have that much plus your normal expenses in your checking account at all times? Do you have a credit card and have you ever used it?

Status
Not open for further replies.