Tornado Cleanup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Those who saw my thread in the wood shed know that last weekend I joined a group of volunteers helping to clean up in Springfield, MA. Anyway, the demand for saws (and operators who know what they are doing) really struck me so I let the church up there know if they were putting a crew together and were in need this week I may be available... so I went out again today. Quite a scene (again). The home we were at today has more work to do than I can really describe. Basically the home owner had a nice home in the woods... now he has a torn up home surrounded by wood and debris. Insurance will cover damage to the home but interesting (to me at least) most insurance doesn't help with cleaning up all the trees on the property. With the going rate around there being $500-1K per tree his 70+ would be next to impossible to pay for.

His case is particularly interesting too - as I understand it his wife recently passed away and he was in the process of moving - house was to close very soon but as you can guess, the buyers walked right after the tornado hit. So now finding another buyer isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

So what did we do there? Cut brush and trees. Hauled the debris up his driveway (two trucks) and dumped by the road for pick up. Good crew from the youth group made for many hands. We had two saws running most of the day so kept them busy too. Cut up pine, oak, maple, you name it. This time I cut some choice rounds of hardwood and set them aside to bring home as I just hate to see it all go to the curb so I returned with some hard earned wood.

I even had my first "real" tree felling experience as I took down a broken tree that was probably 20" diameter (oak). No where near picture perfect but it went down safe (used a rope to pull it over) so I'm happy enough. Next time I'll move my felling cut a lot closer/lower to my notch... I also took out a very thin (6" diameter) oak that was bent almost to 90* so I knew (because I had read about it here) that it would almost certainly splinter and/or go into a barber chair - and it did, but since I was expecting it to do so it was no big deal (plus being such a small tree it was easy enough to manage). Don't worry - I have full respect for what I was dealing with there and you should have seen my over-cautious appearance as I cut slow and kept stepping back to look/listen/etc and verifying my escape path was well open.

Now - if anyone in this area is willing/able to volunteer their time and saw, there is still an acute need - PM me and I can put you in touch with the right people. If enough folks are interested I can tell you this particular home owner would LOVE for a bunch of us to descend on his yard and clear out some wood. I asked how he would feel about my suggesting this on the forum and he was quite happy with the idea - there is one particularly large oak laying there on the side of his driveway (2-3' diameter?) that he doesn't think anyone can take - I know better with this group. So if folks want to pull some wood out all I would suggest is plan to spend a bit of extra time taking some brush and junk wood to the curb while there.

Slow, you are to be commended for giving the help. Thank you. It is people like you that make hearth.com shine. I also think that is a grand idea if enough folks could get together to get that wood out for him and they would be helping themselves at the same time. Everybody wins like that!

As for your cutting skills, no doubt you have come a long ways and are still learning but you have the intelligence to make sure you do things right. By cleaning up this mess you no doubt will learn a lot more too.

Your story makes me wish we were a bit closer as I would gladly put the saw and suitcase together and help with the clean-up.

Again, thank you.

No better way to get that wood moved than to dare this group of yahoos that they cant move a big chunk of oak.

I'm wondering if this guy wakes up one day with the lot cleared and just a bunch of beer cans and sawdust left to clean up.

PM sent.

I've got a couple extra saws around, and I'm willing to drive, so if there are readers out there that aren't coming forward for lack of gear, or because they don't want to burn the gas, let me know.

I have heard from a couple folks - Thinking of trying to coordinate a day of work on the 25th - anyone interested in joining, please PM me and I'll coordinate the effort.

We'll target the gentleman's home who I was at last Wednesday. There is plenty of work to do there. There is plenty of space (and work) for as many cutters as are likely to show up. I can bring my truck to use to haul brush up the drive to get it to the side of the road. The home owner is happy to have folks take wood home if you want and there is some decent hardwood mixed in there but do understand that there is considerable other brush and other softwoods as well that needs to come down.

I really hope that some who respond are more experienced than I am and that all who cut both know their own limits and bring safety gear - this is a hazardous site by the nature of things. I'll try to post some pictures so you can see what we are up against.

Thanks.

Pictures never capture the whole story.. I realize now I didn't take any of the other side of the driveway, but these can give you a little bit of an idea.. btw, that mangle of metal used to be a greenhouse (if you can pick it out in there)...

Attachments

• CIMG2715.jpg
    CIMG2715.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 474
  • CIMG2718.jpg
    CIMG2718.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 482
  • CIMG2712.jpg
    CIMG2712.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 489
Slow,

Nice work. I sent you a PM for details about the 25th. Also spoke with my father who may be interested. Have plenty of saws available, including some big mutha's for any exceptionally large trees.

p.s. Although the damage looks extensive, I would not say there is anything I see in your photos that cannot be tamed......also, after speaking with my father, there are a lot of opportunities near Sturbridge, Munson, and other areas that were hit outside Springfield. They are still clearing trees from Rte. 20.

What a mess, good of you and the crew to help out.

Wow Slow1. That truly is a mess. I hope there are many hands to help out.

Hi guys, been a while but still checking in. My fire department was sent all over the place that night. We had trucks in Springfield, Charlton, and Oxford that night with trucks in Monson and Brimfield the next few days after. Here are a couple of pictures I was able to get in between my duties.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for posting those pictures Mike. The power of Mother Nature is awesome.

Thanks to the folks who have responded via PM - the work day is officially ON for this Saturday at Mr. C's house.

I'll send out the address to those who have committed to being there shortly, but rest of details are as follows (hoping that more will get interested here...)

We'll aim to meet up at about 9a to start at his home.

Work will be basically prioritized by the homeowner (Mr. C) but generally it is "get the big things cut up and safe if we have the skills to do so" and brush cut up to be hauled out.

Mr. C has offered to feed us lunch and will be there so we can use his bathroom etc...

Most likely we'll be on our own this day as the church group is planning to take the day to clean up their church (it was hit too but they only did a basic "make it safe" job before heading out to the community, now they are going back to do a second pass this weekend). So if you can bring extra hands to help drag brush that can be a big help - it is hard to cut when you are up to your waist in brush and slows things down when you have to keep stopping to drag it away...

PM me and I'll give you my email address so then I can blast email you details along with others who responded.

I look forward to meeting and working with some fellow Hearth.com folks (as well as other friends we dig up).

thanks for putting the details together and I look forward to seeing ya'll there on Saturday. Right now am planning on the 9am start- will work until there is no more work or my body quits, whichever it may be. I'm just hoping Mrs. C, Joanie, Potsy and Ralph Mouth will be there also :)

Let's do some clearing!

I have sent out the details (Address to meet at) via eMail and/or PM to folks as of this morning. If you have not received it and wish/plan to go, please let me know and I'll re-send.

Looking forward to meeting folks and learning a few things from you guys/gals.

Yeah.. I know - pictures or it never happened.....

My Wife and I will be there about 10:30 with saw, new chain, plenty of oil and gas.

See you in the AM.

Forrest

Thoughts and prayers sent to those affected by this disaster.

I will be there saw in hand, straps and comealong at the ready, maul and wedge, and a whole lot of up and at em.

See you there!

Remi

Status
Not open for further replies.