Tornado oaks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
Got my work cut out for me guys. A EF3 uprooted and snapped off about 5 big pin oaks 30-40" out of my mother in laws yard. Thank God she wasn't home and it missed the house. Looks like this will give me another 3 years of wood When im done. I've got about 2 years put up now so ill be in great shape.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Holy crap that's too close for comfort. The south got pasted. I have sympathy pangs every time I hear about these big winds/storms. You can wake up to having your whole life changed. I hope that wood serves you well, and I hope you'll be able to replant at your MIL's house.

Holy crap that's too close for comfort. The south got pasted. I have sympathy pangs every time I hear about these big winds/storms. You can wake up to having your whole life changed. I hope that wood serves you well, and I hope you'll be able to replant at your MIL's house.

Thanks, I know it will. We were very fortunate here. The tornado that wound up hitting Louisville, Ms, missed us by 2 miles to the north. We are used to having tornadoes just like you guys are used to snowstorms up north. I hate this time of year. As much as i dread our summers, It needs to go ahead and get hot so the severe threats will lessen.

We can get the big snow occasionally, but the tornadoes are an annual event here. Poor neighbor Xenia, Ohio has taken major hits repeatedly. Dayton is having more close calls and they think a baby tornado went over our house 5/11 on its way to Xenia. I'll tell you what's crazy, is that folks told me about an invisible line at I70. A weather system heads for the area, and north of 70 is chaos, and south of I70 is mildly inconvenienced. It happens over and over and over, snow, wind, ice, it's incredible, completely unbelievable but always repeatable.

We're south of 70 here, and historically, that's been a good thing. Just crazy.

Thanks, I know it will. We were very fortunate here. The tornado that wound up hitting Louisville, Ms, missed us by 2 miles to the north. We are used to having tornadoes just like you guys are used to snowstorms up north. I hate this time of year. As much as i dread our summers, It needs to go ahead and get hot so the severe threats will lessen.

I really feel for you guys ... we may get the cold and the snow storms, but most snow storms will not come through and leave me without a home.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Well, at least that storm left you something good.

Man, my heart goes out to you guys and everyone effected by those terrible storms. I was watching the weather channel the past couple days, Dr. Forbes explaining everything on the radar as it happened made the entire event surreal, then seeing the storm pictures come in made me very thankful that we really don't get that kind of weather up here. I know this thread is about the oak but I have to ask the question, having gone through major storms with large dangerous tornado's in your opinion do you think the weather channel coverage is a bit to much, I mean the whole live broadcast with the radars and emergency updates seem more of a necessity don't get me wrong, but it just seems that the way the program is set up they want to warn people but want to make money off the bad weather at the same time by up playing the drama reporter portion to attract larger crowds of viewers for higher primetime ratings.

Man, my heart goes out to you guys and everyone effected by those terrible storms. I was watching the weather channel the past couple days, Dr. Forbes explaining everything on the radar as it happened made the entire event surreal, then seeing the storm pictures come in made me very thankful that we really don't get that kind of weather up here. I know this thread is about the oak but I have to ask the question, having gone through major storms with large dangerous tornado's in your opinion do you think the weather channel coverage is a bit to much, I mean the whole live broadcast with the radars and emergency updates seem more of a necessity don't get me wrong, but it just seems that the way the program is set up they want to warn people but want to make money off the bad weather at the same time by up playing the drama reporter portion to attract larger crowds of viewers for higher primetime ratings.

I think so. I appreciate the coverage and all but they do seem to go a little overboard at times.

They can't win. They don't warn you they get slapped. They warn you too much they get slapped. I vote for warning too much.

I'm really talking about the coverage of the after effects... They can't wait to show flooded homes, and absolutely can not resist pointing out someone "lives" in a mobile home down here..

We are privileged to get both ends of the stuff. The snow and the tornadoes. In Sept. 2004 one spawned by a hurricane down in Florida took out 36 trees in front and to the side of the house. Closest one a huge oak 18 feet from the house. Not one shingle moved. The upside is after a ton of work I had 13 cord of oak stacked for the only time in my life. But I still paid the mortgage on those big beautiful trees right up until I paid off the house last year.

We're still waiting for the pics of these monster Pin Oaks.... ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.