Total Chimney Length? City says Ok Manual says No

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toppnotch

Nov 12, 2007
Carson City, NV
I just installed a Wood stove in my home it is the Century Heath from Lowes the 3000 series for 2000 sqr foot home. And the manual says i need to have from the floor to the top of the chimney total of 15 feet min. The City’s inspector said that I don’t need to have the 15 feet and my stove will do with just fine 13.5 feet from the floor because that will be 2 feet above my 10 foot mark roof line. Local stove shops said i will be fine with my current set up and the 15 feet specs from the manual is mostly a guide for peek performance. What do you guys think? go by the manual and add 2 more feet. or just go with my ok from the city?

Thanks!

Burn it and see how it performs for you. If you have a problem with draft, then adding a 2' section of Class A up top shouldn't be a big deal down the road. Rick

I have the same stove (and love it), with a total of 14 feet of flue. Mine starts and drafts perfect, even when outside temps are in the 50's.

You should be fine with 13 feet as long as you don't have any horizontal runs.

If the city said it was ok and it passed inspection, why not try it and see how it drafts. If at that time you are having trouble burning do to the draft and not the wood, you could then add several feet to the chimney. While the stove manufacturer suggest 15' the environment plays into the draft. How cold it is outside and the humidity play key roles in how well the stove drafts. Also is your chimney inside or outside? Getting the flue hot will improve the draft also.

OK, while I agree with the try it and add later if needed school of thought, I have to get my bet in the pool. I am willing to bet that you have some draft issues with a 13 foot chimney. Carson City sits around 4,700 feet up in the air and higher elevations are notorious for poor draft with short chimneys.

Insulate it and it should help as well.

I did that for a guy once. He was on a budget and didn't want to buy the extra three feet. I pointed out the specs in the manual etc. and he said he wanted to try it and if it didn't work he'd buy the three feet. It didn't work and next thing I know I'm having to give the three feet to him for free, because as the inspector (who passed it the first time using the 3-2-10 rule) pointed out I had violated the manufacturers install instructions. I know that's not exactly your situation but from then on if the manual said 15 feet I didn't care if it would work with less or not. I wasn't getting shafted for a couple hundred bucks again.

Well ill give it a try and see if i have drafting problems if i do, i have a extra 2 foot pipe i can put on i purchased anticipating the 15 feet per manual specs i can put on and see if drafting improves. Thanks guys!

A not very bright question but wondered.... can an additional 3 feet make much difference in draft? I am approx 14 feet in length at the moment and feel I could use a little more draft. I don't want to go crazy buying length, but wondered if folks had opinions on adding say, 3' at a time?

tx all

At that elevation you are going to see improvement with every three feet you add.

Pyro,

Thank you for your ultra fast response. Your comment is encouraging as I believe I am on the edge of reasonable draft. There is reasonable draw, but the occasional puffs of smoke make their way out. Not at all annoying, but believe with even a little more draft, I would gain more control over the loads, and more efficiency. I'm stocked up for mostly pinon which is fantastic for this area. BTUs, burn time, scent.

I am also wishfully thinking surmising that with a little more draft, I may see a little less ash mebbe? Sometimes I wish I could turn on a blast of turbulent air in the firebox and stir some of the ash up, and out. I know it has much to do with wood type, but still... that would be cool. I do think it could be a bit more efficient. Will see.

Draft is amazing. I've stood at the base of a 250' smokestack shell and it is amazing to feel the power of the air as it seeks its way to the higher elevation. Then there are things like the Sears Tower and those elevators. Now that is air power... draft at its zenith.

tx for the response. drh

Just thought to respond with... I added a mere two feet of length and that made a difference. Just that! I was amazed. Hardly any smoke escapes into the room whereas before, it was a common occurance. Stove is burning more efficiently too. Am going to add another couple of feet and think I will be in an optimal range for draft, performance, etc.

Amazed that 2' can make that much of a diff....

BrotherBart said:
At that elevation you are going to see improvement with every three feet you add.

Status
Not open for further replies.