Toughest V belts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tlc1976

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2012
Northwest Lower Michigan
In the link is what I use for my snowblower auger. 1990 ish White walk behind. I typically burn through 2 of these a season so I always keep at least one on hand. Changing it means splitting the snowblower in half. Not the hardest thing to do, but if I don’t have to do it as often it’s a plus.

So I’m wondering, does a tougher belt exist, or is this about the best already?

Pulleys are clean and lined up, it’s just tough service especially with all the chunks left by the plow, and my driveway is about 250 feet.

When i had a tow truck with V belts it was a busy time at our shop.
I found the Goodyear belts outlasted every other belt that we tried.That was in automotive use.
I still buy only Goodyear belts if possible.

Any chance your tension idler is set too tight? Over the years its easy to gradually get out of adjustment usually on the tight side. Things slip when they are loose but too tight is hard on the belts and the idler bearings.

As far as I know it is set properly. Firm engagement but too tight and not feeling like the lever is bottomed out. Floats in the spring tension when engaged, fully lets loose when disengaged. Never had any problems with the idler pulley.

Ever tried the link belts? I have no real experience on durability but you would not have to to disassemble to replace. I’d probably just keep one on hand as a quick fix/replacement to get through the storm. I’ve used them on a shopsmith powerhead.

Never looked into link belts but I just read a bunch of reviews and they are extremely good. I figured they were just to get you by in a pinch, but people say they are excellent on a permanent basis. Might be worth a try.

I love my link belts. I use them on everything now. Harbor freight actually had a reasonably priced one.

Pricier than I remember, but still available. Best thing is, keep spare links and use them on other tools, lol.

Great to hear as most HF stuff is hit and miss. HF was the one I was reading about with a lot of great reviews. About twice the price of my usual ones but if it lasts the season that would be a plus.

That and I’ll read a bit on Goodyear belts as well.

My old Cat track loader seemed to like to eat Alt belts and I tried all the name brands and they didn't seemed to last bought some China ones from Surplus Center in Lincoln Ne and they have been on there for years and still look good.

Those link belts look so goofy and odd to me. They just don't seem like they'd hold up. I'm wondering how they would do on other more stressful applications? They specifically mention them for drill presses, table saw, sander, but have seen them also recommended for snow blower applications on other suppliers websites.

Wonder how they would work if used for spinning a large simplicity turbo vac attachment that hangs off the mower deck discharge chute on a 20 horsepower Simplicity garden tractor? I know it spins pretty fast and takes some HP to spin at at top speed. Would be interesting to see how long it would last on there.

I first saw these for Tables saws... I tried it out.. Worked pretty good ..still have the link belt..

They were originally designed as emergency belts for automotive use. I always considered it "emergency" as you could somewhat easily join them by flashlight on the side of the road. Maybe it was a longevity issue though.

I admit they look odd, but man do they run smooth! I can stand a penny on end on top of my 50s Craftsman contractors saw while starting up! It's on a super heavy stand and I put a 1750rpm motor on it though. (To be fair and in full disclosure, lol)

I used to get industrial equipment, usually air movers with the link type belts installed stock, they cut down on resonant type vibration. We kept them in stock for really big equipment as we couldnt keep enough stock of regular belts to support 100 years of equipment.

Yes the plus side... build your own size belts

Guess part of it would depend on what you mean by 'burn through'. If literally burning through due to belts loosening up/stretching, then possibly some belt which has minimal stretch...something with a steel core? If it is more of a 'wear through' issue, then possibly the kevlar might help there. If the belts are breaking due to cracks/fatigue, that might be more of a vibration issue and those link belts are excellent for damping vibrations and being more tolerant overall...hard to put a fatigue crack in a chain by bending it back and forth!

Though going through multiple belts in a single season of snow and sounds like you have everything tuned up...so maybe something to address in the design. Again, would depend on exactly how the bets are failing, but some options could be add double pulleys to allow for better power transmission with less slipping, or upgrade to a larger belt/pulley combo A>B, B>C, C>D. Flat belt, or even a timing style belt to reduce slippage.

Loosening up, stretching, thinning out. It’s not at all noticeable until the very end when it starts slipping and then I know I’ve got only another pass or two down the driveway before it breaks. Moving tougher snow almost always uses up the last bit of life. I try to not force it to where it starts lugging the engine, but it’s capable of lugging so the belt seems sufficiently tight. Take half passes through deep snow, etc. Maybe I should try a steel core belt? The ones I get are Kevlar so I wasn’t sure if there was anything better. I’ve also heard of blue and green Kevlar if that makes a difference.

I’m thinking I get maybe 15 hours out of a belt. I tried one from AutoZone once since the farm store was unexpectedly closed and it lasted maybe 2-3 hours.

In comparison (knock on wood) I’ve never replaced the snowblower wheel drive belt and I’ve probably used it 140 hours, 7 seasons. Never replaced my mower wheel drive belt at about 200 hours, 6 seasons, and only replaced the deck belt once in that time. So it seems like a lot.