Town Fire Inspector visited?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been burning the rotten, bark, and other undesirable part of the trees that I've cut and stacked the past several days. I get a visit from the town inspector checking out my "open fire". He said its a no no and only thing acceptable is a enclosed type unit, like the ones you buy at the hardware store with the grating. Well, the only part that aggravates me is that the neighbor, I know which one, should have simply asked me to take my activity down a notch. Its more insulting when the town gets involved. I'm a reasonable guy etc etc.

Now, I'm inspired to fabricate a huge metal burn pot with the necessary grating to conform to the town restrictions just to aggravate this guy.

Inspector told me if he has to come back out, he will issue a citation. He was come and gone in 10 minutes. He was more interested in my yellow lab pup.

We haven't been able to burn an open fire in my county for 20 years.

Get the required device and duct the smoke towards you-know-where. :cheese:

there's a few ways:

1. Fab/buy the contained unit like he says

2. Apply for a ceremonial firepit license

3: put a grate on the thing, keep some hot dogs around, and it's a cooking fire.

karri0n said:
there's a few ways:

3: put a grate on the thing, keep some hot dogs around, and it's a cooking fire.

4: slow roast a neighbor. :coolmad:

Man I'm glad I don't have neighbors.

In my township we have to get a burn permit yearly and call it in when we're going to burn. I think I'm the only one around who bothers to do it. Last week I burned a bunch of bark, branches, sawdust and other undesirables. I felt bad since when I started the fire we had a north west wind taking the smoke away from any of my neighbors, well of course the wind decided to switch to the north east blowing the smoke towards my west side neighbor about 200' away. I felt terrible but there was no stopping it at that point so I tried to put the damp stuff on at a slower pace trying not to smoke them out. I hate being "that" guy!

Good luck with the neighbor, I like to think the few I have would be kind enough to tell me if something I was doing bothered them.

I was in the yard one more time with a leaf blower. I sincerely was cleaning the loose debris. I couldn't resist to "help" the fire along. It was stoking it and if I hit the right way, I would get all the fine white ash and send it into the tree tops. It looked like there was an instant cloud 50' off the ground and headed his way. "oh well".

By me you are not to use an open container...go figure. They will allow the patio type units but the law says you need to be open on the ground no bigger then 2x3x3. I want someone to measure that one :lol:

Yup most developments have ordinances against open fires...but it's OK to use a Chimera. If you have close by neighbors smoke can be intrusive.

savageactor7 said:
...but it's OK to use a Chimera...

Wow, so it's OK for me to use "a monstrous fire-breathing creature of Lycia in Asia Minor, composed of the parts of multiple animals: upon the body of a lioness with a tail that terminates in a snake's head, the head of a goat rising on her back at the center of her spine."? Cool. Better than a burn barrel with a grate on top, fer sure. :p Rick

I'm likin' the ceremonial firepit license concept... it definitely conjurs some entertaining visuals.

If its rotten bark and cruddy stuff anyway, why bother with the work of burning? Dump in a compost pile or the woods.

here we have occasional burn bans and time of day restrictions , "cannot burn open fires before 4pm (guess its in case the local VFD would have to leave their real job early (joking)) not that im bashing the VFD god bless em they deserve nothing but support as do all firefighters. here if you are planning to burn , you call the county or the non emergency local FD number and ask about the fire rules burn when they say you can , dont when they say no , doesnt get any simpler than that.

as for the "neighbor"in question, next time he needs a favor , tell him you would but you are too busy hauling bark and twigs and such to the local landfill to help him.

the jerk!

FWIW i wouldnt bee too hard on the inspector , he probably is bound by some ordinance that makes him have to express himself in that manner, the simple fact that he was more intersted in the dog shows me that he really wasnt hopped up to give you a hard time. to get on his good side you might call his office and inquire about somthing benign you wish to do , if he feels you are being the "good guy" maybe he would "good old boy " you in the future , if he didnt last time.

then if he was a jerk , treat him as such.
just my 2 cents

fossil said:
savageactor7 said:

Wow, so it's OK for me to use "a monstrous fire-breathing creature of Lycia in Asia Minor, composed of the parts of multiple animals: upon the body of a lioness with a tail that terminates in a snake's head, the head of a goat rising on her back at the center of her spine."? Cool. Better than a burn barrel with a grate on top, fer sure. :p Rick

Good one! I wondered about "chimera" too!

burntime said:
By me you are not to use an open container...go figure. They will allow the patio type units but the law says you need to be open on the ground no bigger then 2x3x3. I want someone to measure that one :lol:

mine is 32 inches round with a screen top that i never use

I'm not familiar with the open burning laws in NY, but here in Maine any open burning needs to have a permit . . . unless it is a fire being used for cooking (i.e. a camp fire, cooking over coals, roasting hot dogs, etc.)

In the Big City home owners can apply for an annual permit which is free of charge and good for the whole year. Crews check the location of the planned fire pit, chimineas or mythical Asian critters and either approve or deny the permit. The fire can be lit at any time. The only caveat is that if neighbors complain about excessive smoke or fire and the crews come out and determine the complaint is valid the permit can be yanked. Businesses are a bit different -- they apply for permits on a as-needed basis. The permits are free, crews still check the site, but the fires are limited to day-time operations.

In my home town permits are given out for free to home owners. This time of year the burning can be done any time -- especially since it's been so wet this year -- but in the Spring and occasionally the issuer can request the fire be lit after 5 p.m. since it is thought that more volunteer firefighters are home by that hour.

In both the city and town the permit holder is liable if the fire gets out of control and damages property.

I'm happy to say that where I live the neighbors are great and never complain . . .

fossil said:
savageactor7 said:

whoops I meant to say flying sparks...that what chimera's prevent. I only know about them because my daughter lives in a chimera only burn area. I'm out in the country here's my pit cobbed out of an old truck tire rim.
3628772904_c0921cfeeb.jpg

Bobbin said:
I'm likin' the ceremonial firepit license concept... it definitely conjurs some entertaining visuals.

Unless you know another way of summoning the Chimera?

No outdoor burning after May xx around here.

Need a permit and call evenn during burning time.
There is a way to have little 'bonfires' in the backyard, but they are frowned upon, even with a chiminea.

I have a sister with asthma and smoke bothers her sometimes (she has a wood stove).

A few sardines on the fire can make the smoke take on a whole new level of stink.

Open burns in our county require a permit. I have a an old 55 gallon metal drum I picked up somewhere that I drilled lots of holes in the bottom of. I top it with a metal mesh as a lid. Burns great. Very little smoke when it's fired up. If it starts smoking it's usually becuase the holes are plugged up which is easy enough to clear with a metal rod.

fossil said:
..."a monstrous fire-breathing creature of Lycia in Asia Minor, composed of the parts of multiple animals: upon the body of a lioness with a tail that terminates in a snake's head, the head of a goat rising on her back at the center of her spine."?

I see you have met my neighbor's ex-wife. :ahhh:

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:
..."a monstrous fire-breathing creature of Lycia in Asia Minor, composed of the parts of multiple animals: upon the body of a lioness with a tail that terminates in a snake's head, the head of a goat rising on her back at the center of her spine."?

Jeez, you mean he was married to her too? Was that before or after me? What a coincidence! %-P Rick

fossil said:
BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

Jeez, you mean he was married to her too? Was that before or after me? What a coincidence! %-P Rick

Could be. He is a retired Marine Lt. Col. and worked at the Pentagon while you were there. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.