Toxic Gas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
I read in an earlier thread that galvinized pipe gives off a toxic vapor. Is that true? Ive got galvinized on the inside of my shop and ave been noticing a strange metallic smell. Just how toxic is it. Is the galvinized ok out side? My entire flue is galvinized with the exception of the insulated stainless going through the wall.

If the pipe gets hot, it can emit fumes, mostly zinc oxide from what I've read. It may not be deadly toxic, but if you are feeling a bit nauseous after breathing these fumes, then it may be the pipe. What is unknown is whether there are other heavy metals in the galvanizing. Some, like cadmium are very toxic.

Assuming the clearances to combustibles are legal and safe, change it out to standard, black single wall stove pipe for peace of mind and easier breathing.

There is a wive's tale about welding on galvanized steel that has been debunked by those who care enough to research. You are not supposed to inhale the smoke coming off of any burning metal or welding rod. There are trace amounts of all kinds of toxic chemicals in all steel that are toxic if you sit there and suck the fumes for long enough.

Water is toxic for crying out loud.

It's not poisonous gas like when you mix ammonia and bleach to smoke out the gophers.

Highbeam said:
It's not poisonous gas like when you mix ammonia and bleach to smoke out the gophers.
Wandering off topic, but...
Do you have a rough recipe for this mixture? And, how is it to the dogs, (if exposed)?
thanks.
edit: Forget what I said about the dogs. Can't see how exposure would be acceptable. Try it this way: How long do you have to keep the dogs away?

We never had any problems with galvanized pipe. I wouldn't worry unless it is in a small space. Usually in sheds are garages there is no problems.

We were involved in a case a few years ago involving galvanized pipe. The new renters couldn't seem to shake the "flu", and their newborn baby had been suffering from an unknown malady ever since they brought him home from the hospital.

Summertime came along, and Mom, Pop and Junior all got better. Until the following Fall, when all three fell ill again.

Suspecting that the problem was woodstove exhaust leaking through the pipe joints, the renters called us in for an inspection. The first thing our Sweep noticed was that the connector pipe between the stove and the ceiling support box was galvanized. Turned out the landlord had installed it as part of his preparations for the new tenants.

The Sweep I apprenticed with taught me that, while galvanized pipe was OK for gas exhaust, it could not be used for woodstove connector pipe, which gets much hotter. I passed that warning on to all my trainees over the years, so the discovery of galvanized pipe on the woodstove was a red flag for our Sweep.

I reported the galvanized pipe to our customer, who passed the info along to his doctor, who performed some tests on the family. The final diagnosis was low level zinc arsenic poisoning.

Wow.......it's always great to solve a big problem like that. I guess, like anything else, certain people are more and less affected by this, but personally I will pass on the arsenic.

We never used galv at the shop, nor do I know any galv that is sold for hearth. It is used often for oil, though - and coal also. Neither is likely to hit the high stack temps to burn as much of it off as wood.

I imagine that intentional production of poison gas might upset some folks but it should be known from a safety point of view that ammonia and bleach shouldn't be mixed. The ammonia mixes with the bleach to produce chlorine gas. Chlorine gas is heavier than air and will fill a plugged up bathtub or will sink down a gopher hole. I was taught to wet a rag with ammonia, stuff it down the hole, pour bleach in the hole (say 1/4 cup) and put a board or rock over it to force the expanding gas down the line.

If nothing else it is a great reaction with all sorts of foaming and gurgling. It never killed the grass and seemed to all go away when I lifted the board after a few days. I get pretty upset about gophers.

Good to know about the galvanized stove pipe. A real world experience like Tom described is a valuable lesson.

Got my new used Mansfield today ( I know it’s spring, but it’s still chilly up here in Maine!) and finally got the new stove pipe installed. Stove started no problem, although it seemed to like the front door left open to really get it going. I have a 30+ foot tall chimney on an old 3 story Federal house. Within about an hour, the Mansfield was cranking. But I did notice foul vapors and was wondering how long these should last? Since the stove is used, I could start it normally without an initial small fire. So, all I can think is that it is the new stove pipe stinking?

Well that's good info to know about the galvanized pipe.

I know they use that kind of pipe for LP stoves in the cellar but it doesn't get hot like a wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.