Traded Some Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference in weight is marginal, and really can't contribute to anything proven. It simply could be that one product has 1.5% more moisture content over the other. Which in turn, would mean less heat, and more smoke.

Although a true statement, the heavier bags of pellets have burned nicely for me, with less ash and smoke than the lighter bags of pellets. There is close to a 4% difference between the lightest bags and heaviest bags that I have gotten my hands on. And, the lightest pellets were not the cheapest, so I paid more, for less poundage, less heat and more work (for example - this year I have to empty the P61a ash can every 2 weeks; last year I could go easy 3 and up to 4 weeks).

However, I would agree there is absolutely no correlation between weight of bags and heat output or ashiness - it just happened to work out that way for me this year.

Reactions: Cory S
I actually never heard anything from Country Boy about the weight of the bags, however this year I did decide to go with their pellets and purchased 6 tons, the few bags that I checked weighed 40.4lbs. So no email response but seems like they have corrected any issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.