Trailer for 60 hp tractor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The trouble is that tractors of sufficient size to handle a really useful grapple are generally over $50k, with loader and grapple included. I see people put grapples on little JD 2-series and Kubota LX_10's, but they're of very limited utility, lacking the capacity to really safely lift and transport logs. Heck, even my 3-series with the 320R loader pretty quickly hits its limit when lifting logs.

IMG_1716.JPG IMG_3901.JPG

The owner has a machine of a nice size, but getting that in 4wd with a loader, or something new enough to still buy a loader for it, is not going to be cheap. Skidding logs, either just using the 3-point or with a log arch, is going to be the preferred method of transport, for this machine. I used to do a lot of that with an old Ford 3000.

IMG_4913.JPG IMG_4917.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Rusty18
Agreed
I doubled my $$ to go from 2wd to 4wd with a loader and lost 20 hp. I had enough other work to justify the investment though.

Eureka! Log arch! That would be perfect for staging logs out of the bush.

I’m going to wait and see what I find used this winter. I don’t make too much firewood when it’s cold out. I do have a chance to by a farmi winch but I would think with no loader on the tractor I wouldn’t be able to pull to big of a log out of the woods. Thanks for all the ideas.

I would think with no loader on the tractor I wouldn’t be able to pull to big of a log out of the woods. Thanks for all the ideas.
Pulling is exactly how I move my biggest logs. I have processed oak trees up to 49" diameter, and literally countless oaks and ash over 40" diameter, and skidding them with a choker chain behind the Ford 3000 or Deere 3033R is exactly how I move them. I use a solid drawbar between the lower links of the 3-point to hook the chain to the tractor, so the log effectively adds downforce to the rear wheels. I usually cut all of my logs at 15 feet lengths, but since some of those can be over 5000 lb. (big oaks), I will cut shorties when needed for pulling with the tractors.

Be aware that raising the 3-point can generate a wheelie situation, even a complete walk-over if you raise the thing high enough, so do mind that. This can be managed either by choking the log such that it resides under the 3-point drawbar (as a redneck wheelie bar) or just leaving 3-point low enough that walk-over is impossible (but then you lose the downforce advantage). With a machine as large as yours, you might even be fine using the drawbar instead of the 3-point, which is infinitely safe but very limiting when hooking to taller objects that tend to lift the rear tires when pulling.