Travis Large Pellet Appliances: Fuel Gate Removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
November 10, 2008 Hot Flash #2039

Avalon Large Pellet Appliances:

Fuel Gate Removal

Avalon pellet stoves are designed to operate using a variety of fuel brands, qualities, and sizes. If the stove is properly used and maintained, it will give many years of trouble free use. Under abnormal conditions (i.e. poor fuel quality, improper air adjustment, and lack of maintenance), we have found it can create conditions conducive for a burn back. Over the years, we have found this occurs in less than 1/10 of 1%. Though these events are distressing to us, they have never resulted in injury or any extensive damage. However, they are an aggravating nuisance that we were determined to diagnose and prevent.

Our study of the problem concluded that poor appliance maintenance, improper air-tofuel balance, poor pellet fuel quality or a combination of these factors are the cause of the few burn backs that have been reported. Being unable to control pellet quality or how consumers operate or maintain their appliances led us to devise a barrier to prevent fire from entering the pellet drop tube. Our fuel gate was tested in large pellet appliances for a considerable length of time, including in-home operation at various locations across the country using a variety of pellet brands without reports of jamming. We knew that even if events led to conditions conducive to a burn back, pellets would build up, cause the auger to jam and the stove would shut off. This would be an inconvenience to the consumer, and an indication for the consumer to alter their method of operation or maintenance or try a different brand of pellets. Our decision to include the fuel gate in all large pellet appliances was based on our determination to prevent this from ever happening

Since including the fuel gate in our large pellet appliances we have received many more reports of auger jams than we anticipated. Many of these auger jams we believe are caused by extra-long pellets that are able to bridge behind the fuel gate.

Because of high demand, pellet size, and quality varies far more than we realized, this has lead to more frequent auger jams than we anticipated. Rather than risk continued nuisance auger jams and the resulting customer dissatisfaction, we are removing the fuel gate from our large pellet appliances effective with the serial numbers shown below.

Model Ser. No. Where Fuel Gate is Removed

Astoria Stove 2303-932815

Astoria Bay Insert 2304-09949

Arbor Stove 2305-000990

Additionally, we are asking our dealers to remove the fuel gate from pellet appliances at the time of installation. If responding to customer inquiries should an auger jam occur, please tell the customer they may leave them off the appliance after clearing the jam.

I assume there is similar bulletin to LOPI Dealers?

Leyden is same as the Avalon Arbor I believe.

Thanks for the info. I bought the avalon astoria free standing this september and have had about 10 jams so far after 1/2 ton of pellets. It hasn't been the flapper causing the problem...usually I take that off with a small phillips head screwdriver and i have to poke up the shoot to unclog the auger. I always put the flapper back in because at times when the stove is burning the flames are a little high and I don't want the flames shooting up the shoot and causing major problems

NateM said:
Thanks for the info. I bought the avalon astoria free standing this september and have had about 10 jams so far after 1/2 ton of pellets. It hasn't been the flapper causing the problem...usually I take that off with a small phillips head screwdriver and i have to poke up the shoot to unclog the auger. I always put the flapper back in because at times when the stove is burning the flames are a little high and I don't want the flames shooting up the shoot and causing major problems

Nate, take the fuel gate off, and leave it off....it won't cause any burn back as long as you keep the stove relatively clean (normal maintenance). I have a '05 Astoria FS, and have had NO jams at all, and NO problem w/ burn back....I know it looks like the flames are going up into the tube, but they really don't go all that far.

I spoke to a Travis tech on the phone about a month or so ago, and he said not to worry about not using the fuel gate.

hearthtools said:
November 10, 2008 Hot Flash #2039

Avalon Large Pellet Appliances:

Fuel Gate Removal

Avalon pellet stoves are designed to operate using a variety of fuel brands, qualities, and sizes. If the stove is properly used and maintained, it will give many years of trouble free use. Under abnormal conditions (i.e. poor fuel quality, improper air adjustment, and lack of maintenance), we have found it can create conditions conducive for a burn back. Over the years, we have found this occurs in less than 1/10 of 1%. Though these events are distressing to us, they have never resulted in injury or any extensive damage. However, they are an aggravating nuisance that we were determined to diagnose and prevent.

Our study of the problem concluded that poor appliance maintenance, improper air-tofuel balance, poor pellet fuel quality or a combination of these factors are the cause of the few burn backs that have been reported. Being unable to control pellet quality or how consumers operate or maintain their appliances led us to devise a barrier to prevent fire from entering the pellet drop tube. Our fuel gate was tested in large pellet appliances for a considerable length of time, including in-home operation at various locations across the country using a variety of pellet brands without reports of jamming. We knew that even if events led to conditions conducive to a burn back, pellets would build up, cause the auger to jam and the stove would shut off. This would be an inconvenience to the consumer, and an indication for the consumer to alter their method of operation or maintenance or try a different brand of pellets. Our decision to include the fuel gate in all large pellet appliances was based on our determination to prevent this from ever happening

Since including the fuel gate in our large pellet appliances we have received many more reports of auger jams than we anticipated. Many of these auger jams we believe are caused by extra-long pellets that are able to bridge behind the fuel gate.

Because of high demand, pellet size, and quality varies far more than we realized, this has lead to more frequent auger jams than we anticipated. Rather than risk continued nuisance auger jams and the resulting customer dissatisfaction, we are removing the fuel gate from our large pellet appliances effective with the serial numbers shown below.

Model Ser. No. Where Fuel Gate is Removed

Astoria Stove 2303-932815

Astoria Bay Insert 2304-09949

Arbor Stove 2305-000990

Additionally, we are asking our dealers to remove the fuel gate from pellet appliances at the time of installation. If responding to customer inquiries should an auger jam occur, please tell the customer they may leave them off the appliance after clearing the jam.

Have had this problem since it was put in and the stove is only nine days old. I brought this info to the dealer and they had told me they that they had no information on this and had no information on this technical issue on the dealer site. I would love to just remove the fuel gate but do not want to void any warranty should any issues occur. Can you provide me the document source of the above information please that I may give it to my dealer?

The above document IS from Travis Ind. It has the "Hot Flash" number on it. Copy, paste into word processor, print it out, and give to dealer. In the meantime, take the fuel gate off....there won't be any problem with warranty.

Take it out! I did and what a difference it made. I had one serious jam just a few days into using my Avalon Arbor and it took a Hell of a lot of work to clear it out. Even before it jammed, I was only seeing a few pellets come through the gate, so my fire would go out on me. I was so frustrated and so new to pellet stoves that I was wondering if I'd just shelled out some serious cash for nothing. Turns out it was all due to that damned gate.

Were it not for this forum, I'd have never known about this issue and would probably be using my stove as a pricey plant stand by now. ;-)

Thanks guys!!

We pulled the fuel gate off of our Avalon Arbor... no more jams!

The problem we are having now is that the pellets shoot out faster and pile up in the middle of the burn pot... eventually we get pellets that overflow the burn pot or bounce off the pile and build up in front of the glass doors.

Is there a way to tweak the amount of pellets that drop into the burn pot on initial start up? Should we slow the auger down somehow?

Thank you.

MrPellet said:
We pulled the fuel gate off of our Avalon Arbor... no more jams!

The problem we are having now is that the pellets shoot out faster and pile up in the middle of the burn pot... eventually we get pellets that overflow the burn pot or bounce off the pile and build up in front of the glass doors.

Is there a way to tweak the amount of pellets that drop into the burn pot on initial start up? Should we slow the auger down somehow?

Thank you.

Unless there is a control on the Arbor that I'm not aware of, there is no way to change the feed rate on startup...it's set by the control board. Are the pellets burning by the time they overflow? Only thing I can think to do is to open the damper farther to allow more air in and burn the startup pellets faster.

IMO, if that doesn't work, you need to have your dealer come take a look at it under warranty.

I just had the stove installed a couple of days ago. It's the Leyden and I asked the tech about the fuel gate. He said if it was in there that he'd take it out. He'd gotten the info about removing it. I've been running the stove for a few days now with no problems (knock on wook). I was glad to hear this as I didn't want to start unjamming the stove. I gotta tell you it's even more beautiful that I had hoped. I'm sitting in my living room in my shorts and it's about 75 in here. I tried just the hammer pellets and they burned nice. I mixed the Athens ones in last night and boy of boy did I see a big difference in the amount of ash. I'm going to continue to burn the Athens and the Hammers mixed and pray for no jams. Thanks for all your help guys and gals. This is a great site!

tumbles said:
I just had the stove installed a couple of days ago. It's the Leyden and I asked the tech about the fuel gate. He said if it was in there that he'd take it out. He'd gotten the info about removing it. I've been running the stove for a few days now with no problems (knock on wook). I was glad to hear this as I didn't want to start unjamming the stove. ....

Glad your enjoying the site.....good people here and lots of experience. BTW, I wasn't quite sure...did you remove the fuel gate, or not?

The stove installer removed it. I've had no jams at all. I'm also trying to pay attention to the size of the pellets when I pour them into a drywall bucket and then into the hopper. If I see a big one, then I break it with my hands. I can definitely notice the difference in heating from oil. It feels warmer and I love not hearing the furnace running. I'm burning through a bag of pellets every day which is about what I expected but the house is 73-75 and not 65-68 (as it was with oil). Athens pellets do produce some ash but I'm doing OK with mixing them so far. I'll keep you posted. The kids are happy too as they think Santa can come through the stove. :)

tumbles said:
The stove installer removed it. I've had no jams at all........The kids are happy too as they think Santa can come through the stove. :)

Cool. Glad to hear about no jams. I have used 4 different types of pellets so far, and haven't really paid any attention to pellet length....the Astoria takes them all in stride so far (crosses fingers, knocks on wood...LOL).

Keep us updated.

MM

I bought the Avalon Arbor in December. The dealer removed the gate and, after about 3 1/2 weeks of use, I had a sort of Poof explosion and big fire and then I turned the stove off. The dealer sent someone out who said it needed an "annual cleaning" and cleaned it. Two weeks later it "poofed" again and this time there was a fire in the hopper. Firemen came etc.

The dealer is now offering to replace the stove but I am concerned about safety. Any thoughts from anyone

I'd have them replace it. My leyden has been great. I haven't had one clinker and no jams (just one mishap with the knob on the top). I'd have them replace the stove. If it did it again, then I'd get my money back. Do you have a damper adjustment? Is the fire too high. I keep a good 6- 10 " flame going and it puts out great heat. Good luck to you. Let us know how you make out.

whymsical said:
I bought the Avalon Arbor in December. The dealer removed the gate and, after about 3 1/2 weeks of use, I had a sort of Poof explosion and big fire and then I turned the stove off. The dealer sent someone out who said it needed an "annual cleaning" and cleaned it. Two weeks later it "poofed" again and this time there was a fire in the hopper. Firemen came etc.

The dealer is now offering to replace the stove but I am concerned about safety. Any thoughts from anyone

Need to know more about your installation before I judge if the stove needs to be replace.

The POOF and backpressure comming back into the stove tells me there is something wrong in the venting.

Most of the time when there is SMOKE back into a hopper on a Top fed systems it is from A blockage in the venting or improper venting.
because the smoke and heat have no other place to go but the hopper.

Interesting about the venting. The stove was installed by the dealer's installation company so should be correct. The stove I have was ruined by the hear I think. I would not use it again.

whymsical said:
Interesting about the venting. The stove was installed by the dealer's installation company so should be correct. The stove I have was ruined by the hear I think. I would not use it again.

All stoves are fixable

And just because they call themself a installation company does not mean they know what they are doing
in the Fresno area there is a Install company that does installs for the few stove stores that dont do their own install and we are always fixing their Half ass installs

whymsical said:

So agian
i asked more about your venting who installed it dont matter to us we just want to help you and the only way we can with out seeing your install is for you to tell us about it or post some photos

is your stove vented Up through the roof?
out the wall?
connected to wood stove pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.