Tree Bark Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Can you tell what type of trees these are by the bark. The winner gets Quads old gas can.

Zap

Attachments

• BARK1.jpg
    BARK1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,046
  • BARK3.jpg
    BARK3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,300
Locust?

Ray

Ha! I won't guess then, because I don't want that old gas can anymore. But, the one on the left could be white oak. White oak is a funny thing, it has at least three different kinds of bark all on the same tree!

left oak right hickory hope I am wrong

quads said:
Ha! I won't guess then, because I don't want that old gas can anymore. But, the one on the left could be white oak. White oak is a funny thing, it has at least three different kinds of bark all on the same tree!

Quads it is not white oak and if you could can you clean out your inbox so smokin can email you, he wants your old gas can!

zap

zapny said:
quads said:

Quads it is not white oak and if you could can you clean out your inbox so smokin can email you, he wants your old gas can!

zap

yes quads I really need that thing.

left side White Oak, right side Red Maple.

aspen / cedar
old ones

I have some old white oaks that are losing thier middle age bark sloughing off and exposing the smoother bark (old age bark) underneath. Kinda like an old man going bald.

edit: cedar or hemlock - hard to tell the two apart imo, when they are big and old unless you can get under it and look up.

The Left picture is .....no doubt Sugar Maple.
The Right picture.....damn ....still pondering the species.....

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

the right one is silver maple YOU WIN! gas can on the way....

zapny said:
Can you tell what type of trees these are by the bark. The winner gets Quads old gas can.

Zap

The one on the left is a cactus tree

The 3 on the right are coconut.

I don't want his dammn can!

WOODBUTCHER said:

WoodButcher

Left side is Hard Maple(Sugar) and right side is Silver Maple(soft). Pictures came from the Cornell University site.

Zap

zapny said:
quads said:

zap
It just keeps filling up again with requests for the old gas can!

I was going to say Sugar maple, and red maple.

i've not seen a silver maple with bark as tight as that picture - maybe its from a small tree.

sugar maple and right is ironwood or possibly a silver maple

Status
Not open for further replies.