Tree Branch Hit My Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KDMANN

Nov 6, 2013
West Michigan
So I get out of work today and the wind is just insane. Sustained winds at 30 and gusts at 45+ mph. I get home and my wife say's something hit the house. The dog is staring at the wood stove flue. So , I let the dog be my trouble shooter. I get out the ladder and head up on the roof. Sure enough , a branch smucked my chimney. Put a nice dent in my shiny double wall stainless pipe. I threw the branch off the roof and got down . Didnt like the roof with the snow and blowing. The dent is about 3 inches long by 2 inhes wide and about 3/8 deep. Do you think it will be ok , or should it be replaced? I gave the dog a treat....good girl !

Sounds cosmetic to me, should be fine.

LOL , I'll make some nice kindling out of it. I'm glad to hear the dent is ok , Thanks ! Probably a dumb question , but you don't know unless you ask.

Maybe you can spin that section of pipe around to a side that not obvious or viewable?

Last edited:
Hey that's a good idea ! I can spin it towards the back of the house...nothing out back except the woods.

While you go it apart to spin, check inside to make sure the dent ain't inside, that would inhibit sweeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.