Tree cut down, triggers tons of work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
68C55E76-6D5A-4720-BFD6-01DC781BB16A.jpeg EA25C751-23A4-47E8-A2A6-5C1AF726FA7F.jpeg 03942F3F-C955-4264-8F00-F655D4F003B1.jpeg I have a large 2 stem red oak that is approx 75ft tall, the one stem is leaning out into my yard and if it falls it’s either hitting the house or the wires going to my house. I noticed this weekend that there are new cracks at the base of the tree, some are leaking sap so the inevitable is going to happen sooner than later. I called in a tree professional to get an estimate, whole tree removed, logs cut to 18” all branches / brush chipped, total cost $1,300. I feel that’s a fair price considering the overhead of the tree co. With employees, insurance, equipment. Looks to be inline with the $250.00 hr rule, figuring 5hrs of work with a 3 man crew.

Reactions: Chas0218
Take that price all day. I had two standing dead hickory trees that were too close to the house for comfort taken down, but everything left and nothing bucked for $500, and I think my access to drop the trunks with the track lift they used was better than yours. The extra work of bucking, chipping, and hauling is where your cost is, so it sounds pretty good to me.

I do like bucking myself but with a tree that size it would take a bit. Plus whatever scraps from bucking those guys have will just go into the chipper. As long as they are actually 18" logs (I'd even say 16"-19") I'd be happy. I just hate when they start getting them into 23"-24" lengths...pretty much pointless to cut them in half from there unless you don't mind 12" splits.

Yes I think that's a very fair price.

Price seems good. You might want to ask about the impact to your property. I needed three trees taken out years ago. And no impact to property due to the use of a crane. Lucky for me they were able to park on the road and reach in & tie into the trees. Good luck !

I do like bucking myself but with a tree that size it would take a bit. Plus whatever scraps from bucking those guys have will just go into the chipper. As long as they are actually 18" logs (I'd even say 16"-19") I'd be happy. I just hate when they start getting them into 23"-24" lengths...pretty much pointless to cut them in half from there unless you don't mind 12" splits.

Yes I think that's a very fair price.
I've used this company before, I had (2) large maple tree's very close to the rear of my house when I first bought the place, they gave me (2) quotes, the owner thought he would need his crane, his son thought he could rope everything (over hang onto the roof, both tree's) the crane quote was 3g, the rope quote was 1,800, both included chipping and cutting logs into 18" pieces. I went to work and when I came home, a note was left, saying I was lucky and they were able to rope everything so it was cheaper. That to me was honesty and that's why they got the call first for this tree. That company also does firewood on the side, so 18" is 18", yes your right, there will prob be a few 16-19" logs, but that doesn't bother me since the stove takes 20" anyway.

Price seems good. You might want to ask about the impact to your property. I needed three trees taken out years ago. And no impact to property due to the use of a crane. Lucky for me they were able to park on the road and reach in & tie into the trees. Good luck !
I flat out told the guy I don't care about ruts, its the nature of the beast when you do these type of projects, plus I have big toys to fix the ruts, if any are created, the area is just grass, dirt and clay, no leach field or under ground lines of any kind. When they removed the 2 maples in the back (60fter's) I had just 3-4 pot hole sized ruts, these guys also are very meticulous in clean up, they leave nothing behind, but that's a great advice to add, especially for people that may consider getting tree work done in the future.

Last edited:
Good, my tree guy gives me great prices and does a great job but I tell him to just leave the logs for me to buck since his bucking leaves a bit to be desired, lol.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
View attachment 229452 View attachment 229453 View attachment 229454 I have a large 2 stem red oak that is approx 75ft tall, the one stem is leaning out into my yard and if it falls it’s either hitting the house or the wires going to my house. I noticed this weekend that there are new cracks at the base of the tree, some are leaking sap so the inevitable is going to happen sooner than later. I called in a tree professional to get an estimate, whole tree removed, logs cut to 18” all branches / brush chipped, total cost $1,300. I feel that’s a fair price considering the overhead of the tree co. With employees, insurance, equipment. Looks to be inline with the $250.00 hr rule, figuring 5hrs of work with a 3 man crew.
Personally I think that is a good price. I was quoted twice that for a pine tree in my backyard that wasn't leaning towards anything and they were leaving it all just dropping it. It was about 60' tall I wouldn't complain about that price especially that they are bucking it and getting rid of all the branches.

Some of those bucks look painfully short to me, although pictures can be deceiving.

The big rounds always look shorter than they are.Looks like he did them all about 18 inches.

Price seems good to me. It’s about what I’d pay for something similar.

On a side note; every time I see a post from you Kenny, I can’t help but think you look like Drunk Uncle. Probably the best avatar pic on this whole site! Kudos

D6F1AD9D-53BF-4164-B43C-C15788AA55F9.jpeg
New log landing is in, just need to drop a couple more tree’s, call in some topsoil and extend the lawn a little / fix the grass, then start splitting and stacking!!
*changed the title since as usual a simple tree removal causes me to revamp the whole yard

Be glad it's Oak. We have no Oak trees that are not planted where I live. All White Pine. U going to let it dry for year before splitting? Log Splitter? Don't tell me splitting maul. That would hurt I bet.

Be glad it's Oak. We have no Oak trees that are not planted where I live. All White Pine. U going to let it dry for year before splitting? Log Splitter? Don't tell me splitting maul. That would hurt I bet.
I normally attack everything in the winter, usually split by hand, if there's a piece that gives me a tough time, I simply put it off to the side, when that pile gets large I'll pull the splitter out.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
View attachment 229635
New log landing is in, just need to drop a couple more tree’s, call in some topsoil and extend the lawn a little / fix the grass, then start splitting and stacking!!
*changed the title since as usual a simple tree removal causes me to revamp the whole yard
With something in the picture to give a little scale...That's a good amount of wood! Haha