Gashed by chain saw, Pasco tree trimmer keeps working and bleeds to death

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChillyGator

Feb 20, 2009
NorthFlorida
BE CAREFUL...and seek treatment if injured

By Drew Harwell, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Tuesday, March 23, 2010

NEW PORT RICHEY — An experienced tree trimmer who slashed himself with a chain saw while 40 feet up a pine tree died after refusing to come down for medical attention, according to a Pasco Sheriff's Office death investigation released Monday.

Daniel Antrobus, 48, was straddling a branch above a yard in the Tanglewood East neighborhood Friday evening when he accidentally carved a 4-inch cut into the back of his right leg, exposing the bone, deputies said.

Antrobus, a co-owner of the Bottom Dollar Tree Service, yelled out that he had cut himself about 5 p.m., employee Joseph Jaworowski told deputies. Jaworowski told Antrobus to come down from the tree because of his profuse bleeding, deputies wrote, but Antrobus said he wanted to finish cutting the tree limbs.

Christine Williams, another employee who had been dragging the cut branches, rushed across Sycamore Drive to the home of Elizabeth Hopkins, who called 911.

"He'd look around every once in a while so you knew he was awake," Hopkins said. "You think about it and you think about it, and you want to go back and say, 'You've got to get yourself down.' "

Pasco Fire Rescue crews arrived at 5:15 p.m., and within a half-hour Antrobus was strapped to the top of an extended ladder and guided to the ground. By that time, deputies wrote, he had gone limp and did not respond to CPR. He was flown to Bayfront Medical Center and pronounced dead about an hour later.

Connie Parrish, Antrobus' girlfriend and a co-worker in his tree service, said he had never injured himself during his 13 years of tree work. A trained welder and "good ol' boy," he lived in Moon Lake and had, over the years, become "excellent … at bringing down trees," friend Jim Powers said.

Antrobus' friends, Parrish said, called him Monkey.

"He loved tree work, and he was the best. He loved the height," Parrish said. "He told me if he ever died, he wanted to die in a tree or fishing."

I'm not sure if this is dedication or simple stupidity. In either case, it is sad.

I learned a long time ago that if an injury doesn't hurt too bad, then you should be worried. One of the most painful injuries I ever had was a broken thumb that I jammed while playing basketball with my cousin. Hurt wayyy worse than the compound fracture when I broke both bones in my forearm and way worse than the clean break in my tibia. I've had some pretty crazy ski crashes that left me laying on the ground thinking "omg...nothing hurts...this is pretty f'n serious" (luckily I've never been really injured skiing aside from a mild knee injury and a broken wrist)

Sounds like Mr. Adrenilan took over. I think climbing for a while my self, the adrenilan you get while aloft , keeps you comming back for more. And at the same time, you know one bad decision could be your last, without any doubt. That is ashame he didn't come down, to be able to do what he loved another day. Sorry to hear that sad outcome. That's tough on everyone involved. Tree workers are a close family of people.

while it was probably a little early - at least he got to go the way he wanted to . way better than spending months or years sick and bedridden or mentally ill.

“He’d look around every once in a while so you knew he was awake,” Hopkins said.
Certainly he couldn't have been doing both finishing the trimming and looking like he was "asleep".

you can't fix stupid

billb3 said:

“He’d look around every once in a while so you knew he was awake,” Hopkins said.
Certainly he couldn't have been doing both finishing the trimming and looking like he was "asleep".

I took issue with this as well. I can't help but put some of the blame on the employees after reading such a comment.

Ok, hurt that bad he wasn't gonna descend on his own.

Check two things . . .

1)How much life insurance is the GF gonna get, and

2)Has the sheriff's deputy's car been seen late at night parked near the GF's house?

Man, that guy knew what it meant to get the job done. I know the feeling. I also own my own business. You get tunnel vision to get the job done. He propably didn't think it was that bad. Goes to show, one bad decision can easily end your life.

Any workers working at height should have trained rescue workers and equipment to rescue them with. The owner is going to take a pounding on this one...

Iandad, He was the co-owner.

karri0n said:
billb3 said:

I took issue with this as well. I can't help but put some of the blame on the employees after reading such a comment.

They sure don't sound like the brightest bunch including the one in the tree. Injured at 5pm rescue arrives 5:15 gets him down 30 minutes later he didn't stand a chance at that point. He was probably in shock within a few minutes if he would have taken his belt or a rope and tied a tourniquet his chances would have been alot better.

That's dead ication!

Wonder if he was wearing chaps??? Pretty soon you'll need a licence to buy a chainsaw :ahhh:

Status
Not open for further replies.