1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Amazing what a letter can do!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by NordicSplitter, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Scols

Scols Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Springs New York
    They already do this in my town. They have a small lot with a sign that says " free firewood courtesy of the town of east hampton dept of public works". When theres a good pile there guys trailer their splitters down and process on the spot.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    Liability issues aught to also prevent them from dumping wood on someones driveway. No?

Dealing with liability issues, writing letters to elected officials, making phone calls to the highways superintendent, bribing city employees with sugary snacks, etc... it all just seems a little too political to me, but if that's the best way for you to get wood then I guess you got play the game.
    I'm just glad that my method of getting firewood takes me out in the bush and far far away from all that political crap. ==c
  3. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    the county snow plow operator used to bury my plowed drive in at the worst times. before I could leave I would have to stop go get my plow truck out and clear my drive again. I flagged him down last winter and asked him nicely if he could let up a little so that the plow berm wasn't as deep. The next couple of snow storms he did just that. I thanked him with a case of beer to show my appreciation a few snow storms later.

I also try to give my refuse collector a few cold brews on those really hot days as well.
    andybaker and Scols like this.
  4. Scols

Scols Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Springs New York
    I should try that with the plow guy,I broke two shovels trying to dig out the driveway on saturday morning.
  5. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    That wouldnt fly here or in most areas I'm afraid,liability issues like others have mentioned.

Case in point - Back around 2001 or so there was a huge century old Mulberry 2 houses north of me on the grassy strip between people's front yards,city sidewalk & the street.City 'owns' that (but you have to mow it) that was being removed for safety issues & because the street was being resurfaced.Up about 10 ft or so on a huge limb overhanging the street was a large burl that I was interested in.

I seen when the 4 guys from city forestry department was out there with all their equipment,went up to the Supervisor,explained my request politely.He said 'normally because of liability issues we dont allow 'the general public' to use chain saws (even their own :rolleyes:) on trees on city property...." I told him "Pardon me but I can guarantee you that I have more experience using them,felling trees,climbing/rigging & everything else than all of your crew put together,including yourself...." (He later was appointed Head Forester for the city,yet tried to tell me that the dying American Elm in my front yard was a Siberian instead - but I set him straight on that ;).He's been a City Council member for a few years now,I didnt vote for him ;lol)

Anyway,I even told him "Give a friggin waiver form,I'll sign that if if makes you happy...." He thought for a second,looked at me,again at that huge chunk on the grass,again at me & said "Help yourself,please be careful though..." So when I returned a few minutes later walking up the sidewalk with my huge Poulan 475 & 36" bar- the eyes on those 4 crew guys were like this :eek: But that changed to wide grins when I sliced that heavy burl off that big 5ft long round.... ::-) Soon afterwards I was wrestling those beasts into the wheelbarrow & pushing it back home....They just stood there with their jaws open ;lol
    Shane N likes this.
  6. Scols

Scols Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Springs New York
    Maybe my town carries insurance to cover their rears. I mean this takes place in the "Hamptons" and people sue each other for nothing out here. Regardless, the town does provide access to scrounge firewood cut by town crews. Theres two HUGE crotches on the lot right now but nobodys messed with them because its been easy pickins since sandy.
  7. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    What kind of wood was it? I'm going after soft Maple right now but once I get far enough ahead I won't be wanting too much of it...
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Wish I could dispose of the scrap where I work, 12lb hunks of copper, miles of wiring, 4'x4'x4' cubes of loose stainless steel foil and wire, and barrels of Inconel HX scrap. All worth a pretty penny!

I don't complain if somebody else in another job gets to take home byproducts of their work. I would hope they don't b^&ch to much if I get to keep the odd piece of 1/4" cold rolled steel plate/angle/tube or whatever. Anything we have in any kind of quantity gets disposed of/recycled properly and for the benefit of the company, the rest, meh, whatever.

If they're taking wood home to sell, that's different than using it for personal use and a good "tallkin' to" from their supervisor should fix that or else.... It's not hard to draw that line.
    tbuff, Thistle and pen like this.
  9. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Part of my backyard along east fence has a couple tons up on pallets of various small slabs/blocks of limestone,granite,marble & a little slate of random thicknesses brought home from jobsites over the past 20 yrs...Some new leftovers,most is salvaged from various remodel or demolition jobs.It wouldve all be in the landfill now if I hadnt kept my eyes open....
  10. nsfd95

nsfd95 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern Long Island
    I thought they only burned clam shells out in Bonac. Bub!!
  11. Scols

Scols Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Springs New York
    In the winter we burn bay scallop shells, they season alot faster than red oak bub!
  12. nsfd95

nsfd95 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern Long Island
    Ha ha
  13. Scols

Scols Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Springs New York
    Im guessing your either in North Sea or New Suffolk?
  14. nsfd95

nsfd95 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern Long Island
    North Sea
  15. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Who?...The Kardashian sisters?
  16. Augie

Augie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Of Canada
    Unfortunately as much as you resist the game that is how the world works. Learn to play and your horizon will be brighter and the journey will be easier. Not saying I like it, but Im not willing to sacrifice comfort or an easier life to prove a point.
    Lumber-Jack likes this.
  17. Scols

Scols Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Springs New York
    Does south hampton public works have a spot for firewood pickup?
  18. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass

I learned how my town deals with this type of thing after a tornado went through and made tons of firewood. Nobody was allowed to cut any unless it was on private property and you got permission, then it was between you and the land owner, anything on public lands got cut and chipped and shipped off to some plant in Northern Mass to burn.
    They dont want the liability but the job ended up being so large they hired a contractor to clean up all the wood, he in turn has been selling it for $130 cord, I called and got on his waiting list, Im still waiting >>
  19. Scols

Scols Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Springs New York
    I can understand towns being wary of citizens collecting firewood on town property because of liability issues, but in the end town land and whatevers on it belongs to us. We pay taxes and elect town supervisors to maintain our common property. Its total bullchit that the people we hire to maintain our property get away with keeping us from using our property let alone hiring a private company and then allowing them to sell our property back to us.If the town wants to deal with selling cordwood and use the money towards some public project thats one thing, but the scenario you describe makes my blood boil. I say do what my town does with firewood, and if they feel the need make all the participants pay a yearly fee and sign a waiver that says you wont sue the town if you cut your leg off bucking a round.
    milleo likes this.
  20. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

LMFAO Best.Post.Of.The.Week. ;lol
  21. Scols

Scols Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Springs New York
    Youre right, hes hilarious for a pellet guy ! ;)
  22. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    The City here recently decided to stop anyone from getting the firewood from trees the city had cut. Employees were getting it, some would share with a friend or two they know. They had a little argueing about who's wood it was, and then I guess the argueing got worse and worse about who's wood it was. Now it is nobody's wood but the city's. It gets sent to an old landfill and piled and a private company comes in a chips it all and hauls it away. Done.
  23. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    It's true that sometimes you need to play "the game", if you want to benefit in certain areas of life. Lord knows I've done it many times. <> Fortunately this is one arena I don't have play "the game", I simply get in my truck and head out in the bush and get away from the rat race for a day, and after a enjoyable day in the bush I come home with a nice load of the wood in the process. That's the real reason I heat with wood. ==c
    I think when the time comes that I have to start playing "the game", greasing palms and writing letters to get my firewood, I'll just sell my chainsaw, turn up the thermostat on the wall, and put a nice flowery plant on the wood stove.
    But that's just me. ;)
  24. Scols

Scols Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Springs New York
    I wouldnt mind if the town guys took it after it was dumped in a public collection area, because theyre probably residents of that town too. If the trees being cut are on city property then they belong to city residents and should be allowed access, first come first served.
  25. Scols

Scols Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Springs New York
    Unfortuneately "the bush" for most of us is probably a county or state park or nature reserve. Problem is when too many people move to a rural area it dosent stay rural and city people tend to bring city attitudes and screw things up for everyone. Pray your neck of the woods dosent turn into suburbia.
    gyrfalcon likes this.