MA Inspector informed me, under no circumstances, will wood or pellet stove be permitted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sorry to be late getting back to this but i just spoke to my friend who's an inspector and he said there's nothing he's aware of that does not allow solid fuel burning appliances in MA in garages or detached structures. He allows them and signs off on them all the time. He did say there needs to be something in place to prevent damage to them from cars and the such, but residential use, no problem. Not in commercial settings though.

Sorry to be late getting back to this but i just spoke to my friend who's an inspector and he said there's nothing he's aware of that does not allow solid fuel burning appliances in MA in garages or detached structures. He allows them and signs off on them all the time. He did say there needs to be something in place to prevent damage to them from cars and the such, but residential use, no problem. Not in commercial settings though.
Well your friend needs to study the course in that case. Solid fuel appliances are absolutely against code in garages in MA. And the code about them being protected is from Canada not the usa

Reactions: Ashful
What does it take to be qualified as an inspector in Mass? We used to have a Mass inspector here on the website. He was an interesting guy and helpful to many, but not so much on the inspector side at times.

From the hearth.com Wiki:

The guidelines in this case are those written by NFPA (National Fire Protection Association). These are accepted and considered as the "base" code for most places in the USA.

As per the enclosed snippet, NFPA 211 states:

Location of Appliances.

12.2.4 Solid fuel burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage.

Additionally, 12.2.3 forbids installation anywhere gasoline or other flammable vapors may be present.

Is it designated a garage though? If it’s just a detached out building I don’t see why it wouldn’t pass?

Is it designated a garage though? If it’s just a detached out building I don’t see why it wouldn’t pass?
Thats what we don't know. It may be fine because it's not a garage or if it's a woodshop there may be a local or state code etc. We just don't have enough info. But his friend is absolutely wrong saying they are allowed in garages

Reactions: Highbeam
Well, can you state the code against them specifically in Mass? I'm not sure what it takes to be qualified but like my profession, lots of schooling, passing numerous tests, continuing education plus license renewal. I'm sure if i went to him and said "some dude on the net says you're wrong" i'm sure he'll say the same about you, what are your qualifications? I'm not trying to get into a heated debate here cause we all know how those are completely pointless on the web but i'm simply trying to pass along the opinion of a state certified building inspector here in Mass. If someone else has similar credentials then i'd be more than willing to listen.

Well, can you state the code against them specifically in Mass? I'm not sure what it takes to be qualified but like my profession, lots of schooling, passing numerous tests, continuing education plus license renewal. I'm sure if i went to him and said "some dude on the net says you're wrong" i'm sure he'll say the same about you, what are your qualifications? I'm not trying to get into a heated debate here cause we all know how those are completely pointless on the web but i'm simply trying to pass along the opinion of a state certified building inspector here in Mass. If someone else has similar credentials then i'd be more than willing to listen.
The code was already listed showing that solid fuel appliances aren't allowed in garages anywhere that's has adopted nfpa 211 as its fire code. Which ma has. BTW my profession requires me to.take lots of schooling pass tests and have continuing education specifically on chimneys and the applicable codes. Not to.mention you already had one inspector tell you it wasn't allowed.

I can't imagine having a wood stove in my garage.

One time my car's gas tank leaked, a couple other times my lawn equipment had stuck open carburetor float valves dump gas on the floor 😶

I actually really like Canada's code for them. Elevate the stove 18" and protect it from impact. But I don't get a say in the matter and that isn't our code here

I actually really like Canada's code for them. Elevate the stove 18" and protect it from impact. But I don't get a say in the matter and that isn't our code here

This is also what indicates it is not a valid safety issue. Canada's garages aren't all burning up. But rather just a matter of lazy code writer's with more important things to fix.

I can't imagine having a wood stove in my garage.

One time my car's gas tank leaked, a couple other times my lawn equipment had stuck open carburetor float valves dump gas on the floor 😶

A typical attached residential two car garage really doesn't seem like a great place for a stove. A giant detached outbuilding with 14' tall ceilings, televisions, furniture, work out equipment, stereo, gathering place, etc. is a great place for a woodstove.

If you have gasoline vapors leaking out of anything then I'd definitely not recommend a stove or other flame source nearby. Do you weld in your garage? Grind metal?

Reactions: Ashful
This is also what indicates it is not a valid safety issue. Canada's garages aren't all burning up. But rather just a matter of lazy code writer's with more important things to fix.
Oh I agree it's a stupid code. But still one we have to deal with. Actually one of the few I deal with that I have issue with

Reactions: Highbeam