Tree fallen - cut now or wait to spring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys, curious your thoughts here. The giant snow/wind storm brought down a huge, 70' standing dead oak on our property. At breast height, probably 24" diameter. It has been dead about 8 to 10 years, but it appears it will still make decent firewood.

My question is, should I be moving on this ASAP? Or do you think I can let it go until it warms up in the spring and buck and split it then? I wasn't sure if the wood would rot out over the winter or not. Half is lifted off the ground, half touching soil.

Also, if I wait til spring, would it season in time for next winter?

Thanks

Got it, thanks for the honesty. I have off around new year's so maybe Ill get my lazy butt out there then! Thanks!

Reactions: Woody5506
You really think? Figured almost a decade up in the air would've dried it at least part of the way through.

It won't rot out by waiting until spring but it also won't be ready for next year regardless of whether you cut and split it now or then. The branch wood may be seasoned. Like anything 8" diameter and under maybe. The main trunk of the tree will likely be 30% mc and higher though. Oak takes a long time to season 2 good summers if your lucky, but probably 3.

If it's been dead 8-10 yrs, cut into it and see how soft it all is. Looks can be deceiving. Sometimes it is all very solid, sometimes they are soft throughout. Even cutting into rounds they can look solid - pound a wedge in, see how tough it is, it can be nice and brittle, or mush. Regardless, they generally don't dry much when whole and that large. Sometimes water seeps into cracks and pools deep inside. Most of it is probably near saturation except for the outer branches. Branches can look large, but end up having 1/4 or more of it soft and sloughing off. Either way, waiting 3-4 months won't matter much. Not much drying takes place in the winter.

I agree with Grizzer. In the 70's and 80's when the gypsy moth came thru, it left a lot of standing dead oak. Even after a few years standing dead, it took 2 years at least to season. A forester told me the oak died with the sap up and that made it harder to season.

All good to know. Thank you guys means a lot

Im still cutting oak tops that were dropped in 1985. As long as the branches aren’t on the ground they have been 90% solid. Get if cut and split if you want it for next year.

Thanks all. I'll get going on this over the holidays!

in the northeast worse time of the year to split is late april to early june. black flies.

Reactions: WoodScrounger
Sooner you get cutting, splitting and stacking . . . the sooner the wood starts to really season.

Buck it up now. When we get a good freeze you may see the ends of the rounds develop splits. Then its ready for easy splitting. That's my recipe for live oak. Also much better working on a nice winter day.