Tree ID (Again)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Locust and black walnut. Fresh cut black walnut will have a white sap ring that will turn dark brown as it ages. Black walnut will make a good firewwod right up until the very coldest of the winter. Used it for three years in a row. It burns hot enough but the heat demand in really cold weather causes more frequent trips to the wood pile. The best burn time I could get at -20 was 8 hours in my gasifier. Runs at about 20.2 million btu per full cord.

Cave2k said:
Locust and black walnut. Fresh cut black walnut will have a white sap ring that will turn dark brown as it ages.

That's true. But look at the sap around the bark and on the side of the picture on the right in reply # 9; it's a reddish sap that I've never seen on Black Walnut. I know that trees do vary from region-to-region, but I can't quite believe that this is Black Walnut. I still lean towards some type of fruitwood...hopefully he'll get an answer and post it for us.

Once burned twice shy said:
I picked up a few logs in my neighborhood the other day and was wondering what type of trees I have.
They both had small type leaves similar to a locust, but I don't have the leaves anymore.
You can see the yellow green wood on the one log. From info I gathered on this site I would guess its a honey locust.
I have no clue what the dark wood log is, Any guesses?
They both split nice when I hit them with a 6lb maul. Just pop apart.

Thanks

Species Id of Left Picture (unsplit)

Left: Honey Locust
Right: Black Locust

This is not open for discussion

Great firewood.

Ratman said:
I picked up a few logs in my neighborhood the other day and was wondering what type of trees I have.
They both had small type leaves similar to a locust, but I don't have the leaves anymore.
You can see the yellow green wood on the one log. From info I gathered on this site I would guess its a honey locust.

Thanks

Great firewood.

I poopoo on ur honey ID ! %-P

PA. Woodsman said:
Cave2k said:
Locust and black walnut. Fresh cut black walnut will have a white sap ring that will turn dark brown as it ages.

That's true. But look at the sap around the bark and on the side of the picture on the right in reply # 9; it's a reddish sap that I've never seen on Black Walnut. I know that trees do vary from region-to-region, but I can't quite believe that this is Black Walnut. I still lean towards some type of fruitwood...hopefully he'll get an answer and post it for us.

Yes I do hope he does get the answer. The closer I look at he #9 pic's I have to question the bl. walnut too the rings are also questionable for walnut. Good call. Leaf description cancels out sassafrass.

They both look like firewood to me, split it, stack it, and when dry burn it.

The one on the right looks like red elm to me, I can tell you neither of those is black walnut, You would know black walnut if you saw it. Much darker then that.

busiLEEprocessing said:
Ratman said:

Thanks

Great firewood.

I poopoo on ur honey ID ! %-P

Never let facts get in the way of a good dump I say.

black locust or hedge. could go either way. bark is lightly furrowed for black locust, but it's wet so it's harder to get a good idea of what it would look like dry. based on bark and wood it's either black locust or hedge. either way, very good wood.

MMaul said:
The one on the right looks like red elm to me, I can tell you neither of those is black walnut, You would know black walnut if you saw it. Much darker then that.

I burned black walnut for three years. "Green/wet" black walnut does not look the same as black walnut when it has had time to dry, but it is qutie similar, couple that with the computer image is not the same as up front hands on examination.

I've got plenty of black walnut to woodwork with and burn I can tell you those are not black walnut.

Status
Not open for further replies.