Tree ID and think it’s burn worthy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Littledog

Feb 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
The bark peels right off. Is it locust?
Think it’s good to burn?
How has your luck been with standing dead trees?
Tree ID and think it’s burn worthy?Tree ID and think it’s burn worthy?

Not locust, is it silver maple?

Grey(American) Elm

Reactions: Lakeside
Doesn't look like locust. Elm sounds possible.

. . . consistent for elm . . .

Best of luck splitting it. Burns great but boy is it a pain in the ass to process.

Thanks everyone. Ironically I scored some black locust they were cutting down for power line r.o.w. on the side of the road yesterday! I’ve been beat many times on scrounges until now I finally got lucky

Tree ID and think it’s burn worthy? Tree ID and think it’s burn worthy?

Crappy wood, send it up here I'll dispose of it properly for you. No charge. ::-)

that looks like oak in the trailer. the standing one does look like silver maple

Am I the only one who questions if the wood in the pick-up is Black Locust ? I hope it is , just looks suspect to me.

First trailer pic: red oak and chestnut oak (it's been some time I've cut chestnut oak, so perhaps folks from PA Ridge & Valley Province can chime in).
Pickup load - oak and maybe some Siberian elm ?

Am I the only one who questions if the wood in the pick-up is Black Locust ? I hope it is , just looks suspect to me.
You are not the only one. I say it is red elm in the pickup truck. Red elm is pretty good firewood.

All these suggestions are primo firewoods so regardless you got a good score. Splitting difficulty and smells will help narrow it down.

I don't see much black locust, but when I saw the picture I thought "red elm". Red elm has a distinct aroma and that white layer between the outer bark and sap wood will feel "slippery" when wet. Red elm is also called slippery elm. If you split by hand, and it is red elm, don't aim for the center. Go off center a little bit and you'll be able to bust slabs off the heart wood.

Not far from the other load. Is this locust?!?
That looks more like black locust to me , see the greenish / yellow . Did you see any seed pods around this tree ?

That really thick bark on those rounds in the trailer look like locust. The earlier pics in the back of the pickup I agree don't look like locust, I haven't had much experience with elms except to cut down long dead ones that were really stringy and hard to split.

Snapped pics of stumps after work. So I got home and decided to sort through the wood and I think I have 3 different species here.

Picture 1 is definitely locust. Split rather easily, moisture on a fresh face is only 22-24 (32 degrees F)

Picture 2 and 3 is red elm?? Vibrant colored bark, very prominent smell, split very easy (moisture only 20?)

Picture 4 and 5 black walnut? Smells very very similar to the locust. A little challenging to split, stringy (Moisture 33-38)
Either way I’m very happy with these hauls and appreciate everyone’s input! My first year of scrounging

2696CB99-EFBD-4433-8AA4-1620DEA37B1C.jpeg 29E82FE3-096B-429C-B9AE-A6534EE5BF01.jpeg E939361C-79BC-4183-8488-99144233562E.jpeg BF8F0D97-60CD-4065-8255-1588FBEEEA90.jpeg C64B454F-FDD8-4C98-A28B-4C42E63E22C6.jpeg

Last edited:
For further context. The darker wood in question has very fibrous inner bark like the locust (feels like felt on the endgrain), but very stringy and some heart rot on a couple pieces

2D49138C-CC07-4696-9682-FBEFA4550795.jpeg 2C7327E4-6025-4D60-A61F-0091E95631E3.jpeg

Last edited:
Not far from the other load. Is this locust?
Now this (post #19) looks like black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia): blocky gray bark, heartwood green-yellow with light band of sapwood. The blue-green cast leaves are double compound. Twigs are have armed with double spines. Your load has distinctive Fomes heart rot, a decay pathogen, ubiquitous on older black locust specimen (conks/ fruiting bodies on the outside (bark) of tree..
Black locust is a good tree to learn by smell. Since it is in the pea family it emits a very distinctive smell of pea or bean when fresh cut or split.
Great firewood, once properly seasoned !